Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle-3D parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi everybody,

has anyone of you played with Eagle-3D and POVRAY?

I rendered a few PCBs using POVRAY but it is not satisfactory due to missing parts like pots, LEDs and numeric displays.

How can parts be modified or added to get a fully populated PCB?

Here is a sample of a bench power supply. The black box on the left hand top should be a dual 2-pin screw head.

Boncuk

Attachments

• power-supply.jpg
    power-supply.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,931
Hi everybody,

has anyone of you played with Eagle-3D and POVRAY?

I rendered a few PCBs using POVRAY but it is not satisfactory due to missing parts like pots, LEDs and numeric displays.

How can parts be modified or added to get a fully populated PCB?

Here is a sample of a bench power supply. The black box on the left hand top should be a dual 2-pin screw head.

Boncuk

I started using Eagle3D + POVRAY but I run into the same problem and I haven't had time to play with them again.
However, I succesfully placed through hole LED's and 2-pin terminal blocks on the (virtual) board. I don't think I had added parts to the libraries provided with the installation.
As far as the potentiometer is concerned, this part needs to be defined into a new library because it's not a standard part in Eagle. I've learned that from an **broken link removed** that provides the pot lib and include some nice pictures.

Last edited:
I've downloaded a new image library from http://www.matwei.de.

The file size (zipped) is 38MB, but there is not much improvement.

Supposedly Povray looks for part names the same as in the 3D-library to use those parts.

I imported the board files from Eagle 3.55 into 5.20 with almost no positive effect.

Boncuk

Attachments

• cooler.jpg
    cooler.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,236
You just have to Google more. I've played with this a while ago. I don't think making your own items is an option unless your interested in 3D modeling, but you can go through the library and substitute the components that are 'most like' the component you want. I did this with some nichicon capacitors and a few items, but it's pretty time consuming. There's tutorials that show you how to link the models with the part names you are using.

**broken link removed**

Eagle 3D

Hi Mark,

please have the kindness to name some links. Not knowing the software and the relationship between the parts used in Eagle 3D and Eagle it is almost impossible to create a proper image.

Thank you

Hans

Slowly getting better - and more fun

The latest images downloaded at http://www.matwei.de match into Eagle3D if the parts are selected manually.

Here is the "improved" image carrying a PIC16F870 labelled "ST". There is no microchip logo in the "offer". :)

Boncuk

Attachments

• MONDO.jpg
    MONDO.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,076
You might want to use the latest version of Eagle 3D as well. I think it's still beta, but it's the one that I used.

Hi Mark,

I finally managed to get a fully populated board. However the connector pins are "built in" the wrong way. This PCB is supposed to be a piggy pack, and so the long end of the pins has to face down.

How did you manage to place the pins "upside down"?

Hans

Attachments

• ani.jpg
    ani.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,075
You need to mirror them on the board layout. Use the mirror tool to swap them to the other side.

Thanks again Mark,

and this is the final result.

Attachments

• ani.jpg
    ani.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 697
Too bad Eagle does not support other 3D formats. POVRAY is cool but I learned another 3D tool. Be nice if we could convert somehow. I have a 3D converter tool but it does not support POV...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back