Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

E-Stop Switch That Disables 2 Different Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

Is there an E-Stop on the market that has the ability to disable 2 different circuits when the e-stop push button is pressed in? Most I see only allow you to wire up 1 circuit, but I have a circuit that is 24v and controls certain devices, then another circuit that is 36v and controls a completely different operation.

This is a toggle switch and you want a push button switch. But the action is the same.
On the left side there are three terminals. On the right there are also three terminals, you can only see the one.
The left side is not connected to the right side. (two different switches)
You can connect 24V to the center on the left and 36V to the center on the right side.

This is a DPDT switch. Double Pole Double Terminal

032076021245.jpg

Perhaps you should clarify what you mean?, I've no idea what an E-Stop is?.

But presuming it's some kind of switch that you can't get multiple pole versions of, then a simple double pole relay would do what you want.

Perhaps you should clarify what you mean?, I've no idea what an E-Stop is?.

But presuming it's some kind of switch that you can't get multiple pole versions of, then a simple double pole relay would do what you want.

Attached is an E-Stop. E-Stop stands for "Emergency Stop". It's an easy method for killing power to a system if there is an "emergency". Normally they are hardwired and do not rely on other devices to kill power to the system.

So I am trying to avoid using just a toggle switch or relay.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 171
An E-stop (ideally) controls a relay-circuit. When the E-stop is pushed, the relay circuit drops out, causing a long walk to the 'Start' button, during which the reason for the failure is contemplated.
The control-relay will usually have a set of contacts available to enable/disable your 36 volt equipment: if not, another relay can be paralleled on it.
Wade Hassler

I do not see any that offer more than 4 terminals. Most have 2 terminals for NO and 2 terminals for NC. I'd think there is a name for a E-Stop switch that has more than the standard. Hopefully someone here more experience will have some helpful advice. Thanks for your help though.
You did not state these conditions in your first post.

No amount of "more experience" could have divined your true needs from a query that was incomplete...

Moeller manufacture Modular Stop Buttons, you simply add the switch modules that you require by snapping them onto the rear of the switch. They also come with various legend plates. Not cheap though, but good quality.

I see you are in the US. There are no shortage of Emergency Stop switches using double pole. Here are some examples from McMaster Carr. You can get DPST with N/O or N/c contacts. You can also get individual switches less the enclosures. Whatever you want.

Ron

Industrial controls need to comply to a standard, here in the uk there are different ones, the most common being en60204-1, this states that e stop systems must use 'safety relays', a safety relay monitors the state of the wirng and contacts, double poles are used for redundancy, if one contact welds or falls to bits the relay picks up on it and disables the machine, or if one side of the switch contacts wiring shorts to ground or a voltage the same happens.
Pilz make a range of safety relays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back