Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dynamo Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmund085

My dynamo isnt working. I use an adaptor giving 12V then it is connected to a 7408 IC, then connected to the dynamo. I tried everything but it wont work. I want ask or to know if is there something I need to make it work.

Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible), I have no idea what you're asking for.

Why would you hook up a quad-AND gate chip to a "dynamo"?

A schematic of what you're doing would be useful.

Maybe there is a language or translation problem.

A dynamo is a DC generator. It does not use a 12V adapter nor an old 7408 logic IC.
An old 7408 operated from a 5V supply. It had a maximum supply of 7V and a maximum input of 5.5V.
An old 7408 IC will blow up if powered from the 12V adapter and might blow up if powered from the dynamo.

I have a new 7408 as yet unused. I wonder how well it will fare.

Reactions: JMW
is there any other ways or methods in order for the dynamo to run. I just want a simple logic actually. If the result is 1, the dynamo runs, but if 0 it wont run.

A dynamo or a motor ?

A dynamo generates electricity, a motor converts electricity into motion

Can you post a picture of the dynamo? A model number? A drawing of what you have in mind?

I think you may want to use a relay to power the dynamo.

Use the output of the 7408 to drive a transistor. Then use another transistor or a relay to switch the dynamo on-off.
Can you understand this?

i dont understand, its my first time in electronic and my teacher is giving me hell. From 7408 to transistor then from transistor to dynamo?

sorry about the dynamo/ electric motor confusion, in our country we call electric motor dynamo and the dynamo as electric motor. Vice versa.....

I'm suggesting the 7408 will not provide enough current to power the motor. So use a transistor to power the motor. The IC switches the transistor on and off.

What kind of class is this? Electronics? Physics?
Have you studied transistors yet?
What voltage and current does the motor need?
Do you have a data sheet for the 7408?
The IC may be able to 'drive' the motor. I don't know.

Last edited:
sorry about that, i just slept in class... :D i just didnt heard the transistor part though :D

but am I correct, the output of the 7408 is connected through the base of the transistor then the +V is connected to the collector of the transistor and the dynamo is connected to the emitter of the transistor. is it correct?

motor driver.png

You need to select a power source. I suggest 5vdc if that is enough for the motor.
You must select an npn transistor and a resistor. Ask your teacher how to do that.
Someone here can help you if required.

You want to 'saturate' the base- emitter but not burn it out. That's what the resistor is for.
The collector has to handle the current that the motor needs. A heat sink may be needed.

First step is to find out what the motor needs for voltage and current.

Last edited:
Edmund,
You are talking about using the NPN transistor as an emitter-follower that will have an output voltage at the emitter of only 0V to about +2.3V. Your electric motor needs 12V so use the transistor as a common-emitter type (emitter is grounded and the collector pulls one terminal of the motor to ground). The other terminal of the motor connects to +12V. Connect a rectifier diode across the motor to arrest voltage spikes produced by its inductance.
The 7408 IC needs a regulated 5V supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back