Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DVD player with VGA output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

can you buy a dvd player with VGA output so that you can hook a pc screen to it I don't watch television so something like my 19" 15:10 screen on a DVD player would be great but I've never seen one or know if they exist

You could always go for a TV to VGA converter. I used to use one on our Xbox so the kiddie could play his Xbox through his monitor.

Its got 3 inputs for composite video and one for the PC.

Still got it somewhere if you get desperate and want to buy one - I'll let you have it for £30 delivered if thats any good to you.

yes but what about the quality, I mean TV quality is less than the original DVD then it will get reblown up to 1440 X 900 pixels, tv is someting like 600 isn't it ? the DVD comes as 720

by the way I live in the northants area too so I could come get it but I'm not in a hurry to have one just curios for now

If you want to pop over and borrow it to see if its any good for you feel free.

Its just sitting in a bag in the garage at the moment doing nothing.

Grabbed your postcode off your CV on your website, bunged it in Multimap.com and did a route between the two houses lol.

I'm in Wellingborough on the south/south-west side to quite near you.

oh right yes I thought you msy have gone to such lengths,
did you use it to play a DVD on a pc screen ? how much power does it use basically my idea is why should I run a whole computer just to watch a DVD as the tv on our dvd player is a titchy crt I got thinking.

Not used it with a DVD but it played the Xbox stuff reasonably well.

Power usage is a couple of watts - it runs off a wall wart.

Like I said - feel free to borrow it for a bit and see what you think.

picbits said:
I'm in Wellingborough on the south/south-west side to quite near you.

Funnily enough my younger brother used to live in Wellingborough, in a new house (at the time) right next to the train station car park - he used to commute to London, and could jump over the fence and walk to the station.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Funnily enough my younger brother used to live in Wellingborough, in a new house (at the time) right next to the train station car park - he used to commute to London, and could jump over the fence and walk to the station.
Funnily enough "back in the old days" you could get off a train at night at Wellingborough and jump over the fence avoiding having to pay for the fare if you had got the wrong ticket.

picbits said:
Funnily enough "back in the old days" you could get off a train at night at Wellingborough and jump over the fence avoiding having to pay for the fare if you had got the wrong ticket.

ah yes the good old days pity they not only stopped the trains stopping in Irchester but totaly removed the station just in case the village protested hard enough to get the service back

picbits said:

Apparently if you catch the train from Chesterfield to Sheffield (or the other way) it's rare to ever have to pay, the journey is too short to get caught! :p

@OP:

if you have a DVD player that has component outputs (almost all of the cheapies do these days), you can then get a component to hd15 cable (vga type connector)

your monitor needs to be good enough to sync to broadcast timings instead of vesa standard timings. most of your CRT monitors will be able to handle this, but it will be hit and miss when it comes to lcd's

if you have a monitor, and a computer, why not play the dvd on the computer, and connect the computer to the monitor?

justDIY said:
@OP:

if you have a DVD player that has component outputs (almost all of the cheapies do these days), you can then get a component to hd15 cable (vga type connector)

Component and RGB+Sync are completely different things, a computer monitor normally won't accept Component.

I suspect what you're thinking of is LCD TV's like the Sharp ones?, where they don't have seperate Component sockets on the back, instead they connect the Component inputs to some unused pins on the VGA socket, and provide an adaptor so you can plug phono plugs in to it.

But you can't use the adaptor on any other set, because the connections aren't on the VGA socket.

your monitor needs to be good enough to sync to broadcast timings instead of vesa standard timings. most of your CRT monitors will be able to handle this, but it will be hit and miss when it comes to lcd's

Certainly in my experience, it's EXTREMELY rare for a monitor to sync low enough for normal TV signals - the place to check for ones that do is Amiga user groups (the later Amiga's output a wide range of signals, including broadcast compatible ones - the default).

justDIY said:
@OP:

if you have a monitor, and a computer, why not play the dvd on the computer, and connect the computer to the monitor?

its lcd so probably won't work,
yea I have a computer like I said I don't want to run a 100 W computer to play a DVD that a 20 DVD player can play, but I would like to swap the 15" CRT for a 19" 15:10 LCD screen that is much better veiwing and less power

Like I said above - feel free to pop over and have a play with this TV to VGA box - I've dug it out in case you want it.

thanks but I'm busy on varios things at the moment and really I need to get a screen too to make it work I don't want to keep swapping the pc monitor around but its an idea I want to keep in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back