Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DVD player problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

well, the neighbor was throwing out a perfectly good SYLVANIA DVC860D Video cassette/DVD player combo. So I picked it up "Manufactured in 2004". The VCR Aspect of it works perfectly. The dvd is another story. When I try to play a dvd you can hear it clicking as it spins. Then there's a no disc error on the tv. I opened the cover and lifted up on the spin mechanism. Then I inserted a DVD and it played! After about 30 mintues the movie froze, and now it is saying no disc error. I was thinking it was a unbalanced spin mechanism? How can I cheaply repair this.

windozeuser said:
well, the neighbor was throwing out a perfectly good SYLVANIA DVC860D Video cassette/DVD player combo. So I picked it up "Manufactured in 2004". The VCR Aspect of it works perfectly. The dvd is another story. When I try to play a dvd you can hear it clicking as it spins. Then there's a no disc error on the tv. I opened the cover and lifted up on the spin mechanism. Then I inserted a DVD and it played! After about 30 mintues the movie froze, and now it is saying no disc error. I was thinking it was a unbalanced spin mechanism? How can I cheaply repair this.

The most common fault is the laser assembly, that's the first thing to try replacing - it may not be worth bothering with?.

I had exactly the same problem with a cd player. When the repair guy looked at it he told me it was the laser assembly and not to bother getting it repaired, it was cheaper to buy a new player.

Yeah true, You can buy a decent DVD player for around $50. The whole design looks cheap compared to older DVD/VCR's I played around with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back