Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dummy Load Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

TACAMO

Hi, I have a capacitor bank that stores 2300 joules of energy when charged to 400 VDC. I need to build a "dummy load" to safely dump the energy. I was thinking of putting a few of those 50 watt resistor in series. What do you think? Thanks.

Tamco,

Hi, I have a capacitor bank that stores 2300 joules of energy when charged to 400 VDC. I need to build a "dummy load" to safely dump the energy. I was thinking of putting a few of those 50 watt resistor in series. What do you think? Thanks.

Any idea what the value of your discharge resistance is going to be? How long do you want to wait for the capacitor to deenergize?

Ratch

I don't know what the discharge resistance is going to be. The dummy load is going to be for safety. It dosen't have to drain instantly, 45 seconds sound good.

Last edited:
TACAMO,

I don't know what the discharge resistance is going to be.

We'll figure it out.

The dummy load is going to be for safety.

Irrelevant with respect to the calculations.

It dosen't have to drain instantly,

It won't.

45 seconds sound good.

We'll see.

Let's look at what you have now. ½CE² = 2300 ===> C = 0.02875 farads

Let's be conservative and use the resistor at 25 watts instead of 50 watts. Then,
E²/R = 25 ====> R = 6400 ohms. The resistor will dissipate less power as the capacitor de-energizes down to a lower voltage.

The time constant is RC = 184 seconds.

In three time constants, the voltage will be down to 400*exp(-3) = 20 volts

So, in about 9 minutes, the voltage will be down to a safe level. Is that what you want? If not, can you figure out what you need to do to change it?

Ratch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back