Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dumbass question?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Steel

Hello, most likly I'll get banned or just ignored but here goes... I'm building a hobby project(MilesTag if you heard of it) and I have to program a bootloader firmware(all ready have the .hex file) onto a PIC18F2525 so it can take firmware updates later well built into the project board! , I don't have any experiance with PICs or programming them but I only have to program one maybe two? and I'm just looking for a serial programmer that I can build cuz buying one just would not make any sense for me! The programmers I've found online like jdm seem to be only for 16Cxxx and other 14pin PICs or I need a adaptor but looking online the adaptor is still a bit pricey for one project.
SO please if some nice soul could point me in the direction I need to find a very simple programmer for a PIC18F2525? :(

Thank you to any one that reads this!

No one gets banned for just asking questions. But sorry, I have no idea how to build my own programmer...I tend to just buy them and use the PICs in my projects.

Have you considered the PICAxe chips? They have some firmware on them already so you only need two wires to upload software to them...but...they work with BASIC, so I don't know if they will properly respond to your HEX file...I dont see why not, but if you decide to go that way you should ask questions and read carefully before you buy.

It sounds like you are looking for an in-circuit serial programmer (ICSP) programmer...just in case you decide to go out to buy one.

Is this too expensive for you? Its very clean cut...
**broken link removed**

Here are a few others that are truly homemade like what you are asking for...but it doesn't seem to say its for the exact PIC chip you refer to (but I didn't read them carefully, I just searched and posted a bunch of legitimate looking links)...maybe you can figure something out from it and reroute the circuitry as needed.

They might not be worth the effort of going out and buying one though. The biggest blockade I can see is not the physical circuit, but the software used to interface with the programmer from the PC...it's probably not provided for a homemade solution.

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/noppp/
http://www.rentron.com/Myke4.htm
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/softelec/ that was exactly what I was looking for , Thank you very much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back