Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual Source Power supply - USB and/or external question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyLude

Will this work?

I have a PCB that requires both 5v and 3.3v operation. It has a 3.3v and a 5v linear regulator on it (type LD1117). I can power the board from an external 9v source, but I also want to be able to power it from USB, if the USB is connected to the jack.

This means that the power to the board could come from the 9v source only, the USB only, or both could be connected. I have come up with this schematic and I wanted to make sure this will work. If the Power line is connected, I get power to both the regulators. If the USB is connected, I get 5volt power on the 5volt rail and 5v (minus the diode drop) to the regulators.

If this doesn't work, do you have any other suggestions?

**broken link removed**

Thanks. The board has low current requirements. 200ma is far above the max that it will need.

Did you not read the original description? Yes, I want to be able to have both connected. There's a diode right in the schematic shown, to protect the 5v line from the 9v input.

You'll get a small drop but a 1N5817 from VBUS to block current from entering the USB port should do the trick.

Did you not read the original description? Yes, I want to be able to have both connected. There's a diode right in the schematic shown, to protect the 5v line from the 9v input.

Yes, you protected the USB port from the 9V but not from the regulated 5V.

Also, verify if your 5V regulator is "happy" with 5V applied to its output.

Yes, you protected the USB port from the 9V but not from the regulated 5V.

Also, verify if your 5V regulator is "happy" with 5V applied to its output.

There would be my question. Do I need to protect the USB input from the 5V regulator output? The 5V regulator will not be outputting 5V due to it's own voltage drop plus the diodes voltage drop on the supply line, so it's not going to go higher than the USB input. Problem is that it will not have 5 volt at both input and output, it's going to have less voltage at the input due to the diode drop, then the output.

I will test the regulator to see if it has any problem with voltage at both ends and slightly lower at the input.

Well the diode will only drop about 0.2V and depending on what your running that may or may no be a problem.
A tiny 5V NC reed relay could be use to disconnect the 9V battery when USB is connected.

Well the diode will only drop about 0.2V and depending on what your running that may or may no be a problem.

The diode would protect the USB from over voltage back flowing into it. The way everything is setup, that can't happen, so I'm not certain that it would be useful.

Don't know if it will be a help but here is a link to the latest Arduino board that does a automatic switch between external power and USB power if both are connected.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/01/arduino-duemilanove-schematic-1.pdf

Lefty
Thanks, that is useful. They are using a FET to switch supplies and an op-amp to switch the FET. In that case, though I think it would require me to run the 3.3v regulator off of the 5V line, rather than the power line. It means the 5V regulator would have to handle all the power of the 5V circuit but also the power of the 3.3V circuit.

Just an update, but I tried this out, and it worked for me. It's just a simple LCD backpack that can be controlled from the PC over USB or as an I2C slave from another uC, or can just sit displaying messages, standalone.

It was a simple project, but it's nice to get something completed.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back