Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dual power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

shangkaishin

Hi,

I am building a digital filter circuit and I am having trouble finding a suitable power supply. I need a dual output, wall socket plug-in +12VDC power supply. However, everything I come across has pin connections like those on breadboards or DAQ's or switchboards like this one: https://www.trcelectronics.com/ecomm/pdf/abf04.pdf

I do not know how to adapt a wall outlet to fit that kind of input. Can anyone recommend a cheap plugin dual power supply? Alternatively, does anyone know an easy way to connect pins to a regular wall outlet?

Thanks!

Why do you need a dual polarity power supply/ Many transistor or opamp circuits can easily be biased and capacitor coupled to use a single positive supply.
Why do you need a total supply voltage as high as 24V? Many audio circuits work perfectly from +9V.
Do you need a regulated voltage supply? Many circuits don't need voltage regulation.

The circuit is actually multistage and includes multiple filters, amplifiers and I-V converters. The schematic was given to me because it worked before. I don't fully understand the analog circuitry behind it so I couldn't tell you if the bipolar power supply is strictly necessary or just more convenient. However, the design calls for both + and - 12V. I do need the voltage supply to be regulated. Essentially, I want to plug it into the wall to power the circuit, pack them together somewhere and then forget about them.

I have never seen a plus and minus 12V regulated power supply for sale. It would be simple to make one.

Simplest solution would be to get a 12v AC adapter (the kind that has only a transformer in it) and build a voltage doubler into your circuit, plus probably a pair of linear regulators, to give the required +/-12v. Such simple plug-in units are getting quite rare though, as they get replaced by SMPS units.
Failing that, get a 24v supply (with an output isolated from ground) and then derive a half-rail (ie, +12 with respect to your PSUs 0v) from that using a power op-amp and ground that rail (so that what your power supply calls "0v" becomes -12v with respect to earth).
I'm sure there are also DC-DC modules available off-the-shelf that would do a direct conversion from your preferred input voltage.

I take it the current is quite low?

How about two SMPS 12VDC wall plugs. Switch the 12V side On/Off with a DPST switch.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back