Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dsPIC30F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

Hi, does anyone know a cheaper alternative to programming these things, other than buying Microcips very expensive programmers???
All I have is a P16PRO40, which has served me well... (as far as I can tell, it cant program these)

thanks, will that LVP cable do the job, or will I have to build the ICD clone?

The LVP depends on 3rd party software for PIC compatibility, and won't be of more help than your P16PRO40. It is a neat tool for quick fixes, but it's just not the right tool for dsPICs.

You need the ICD. It is flexible, and is likely to support a lot of future [ds]PICs, since Microchip themselves are doing the software end of the programmer.

ignore that last post, I'm gonna build it anyway...

If you want to be serious with DsPICs, then ICD2 is very important. It allows you to program and to DEBUG PICs. This will simplyfie your developement (I know it from my own experiences).
Stolz's design is very simple and easy to buid, just make sure you will build your ICD2 with 16F876 part, not the 'A' version.

I agree, thanks for the great advice
I would really like to make the USB version, but I cant get the required chip, in fact, I have to have get the max232 from another city anyway
In that way, if I were to make a robot, it would be twice as cool, with USB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks everyone, I am having some samples sent, to check how good they are (same like what I did, when I started with PICs)

just make sure you will build your ICD2 with 16F876 part, not the 'A' version.

Jay,

I just replaced the 16F876 device in my ICD2 with a 16F876A and the 'A' version parts work fine... You simply need to program the 'A' parts with the modified bootloader (below)...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• icd2_bootloader_a_132.txt
    3 KB · Views: 254
Mike said:
just make sure you will build your ICD2 with 16F876 part, not the 'A' version.

Jay,

I just replaced the 16F876 device in my ICD2 with a 16F876A and the 'A' version parts work fine... You simply need to program the 'A' parts with the modified bootloader (below)...

Regards, Mike
Mike, I know that you can use 'A' parts! But you will never know what will Microchip do, maybe they will decide to reduce "piracy" by simple making ICD2 with A parts not working...

Jay.slovak said:
But you will never know what will Microchip do, maybe they will decide to reduce "piracy" by simple making ICD2 with A parts not working...

I doubt it worries MicroChip at all?, they are in the business of selling PIC's, not programmers - and you have to buy a PIC to build one!, then all it's good for is programming MORE PIC's - so you have to buy even more of them!.

Why should MicroChip be worried about that?.

It seems pretty obvious that they want people to build them, they publish the circuits and allow free download of the software, people copying their programmers can only be good for them.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Jay.slovak said:
But you will never know what will Microchip do, maybe they will decide to reduce "piracy" by simple making ICD2 with A parts not working...

I doubt it worries MicroChip at all?, they are in the business of selling PIC's, not programmers - and you have to buy a PIC to build one!, then all it's good for is programming MORE PIC's - so you have to buy even more of them!.

Why should MicroChip be worried about that?.

It seems pretty obvious that they want people to build them, they publish the circuits and allow free download of the software, people copying their programmers can only be good for them.
Hmm that's a nice attitude, I was thinking that microchip will lose 100$ (or how much ICD2 costs) to sell one more 16F876... Yes, ICD2 clones DO attract people and makes Microchip more popular, but Aren't they popular enaugh because of Samples?

Jay.slovak said:
Yes, ICD2 clones DO attract people and makes Microchip more popular, but Aren't they popular enaugh because of Samples?

Samples are no use if you can't program them? :lol:

It's probably this attitude that makes the PIC by far the most popular hobbiest micro-controller, to the extent that 'PIC' is often used to describe ANY micro-controller - rather like Hoover and vacuum cleaners.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Samples are no use if you can't program them? :lol:

It's probably this attitude that makes the PIC by far the most popular hobbiest micro-controller, to the extent that 'PIC' is often used to describe ANY micro-controller - rather like Hoover and vacuum cleaners.
Nigel, that's very true, I see it now 8)

dont be a punk!!! I only ordered them, once I confirmed that I could program them... It's inconvenient when I have to go to the post office, and possibly pay import duties etc.
I really like this whole PIC thing, and I did not expect it to get this good...

Clyd3 said:
dont be a punk!!! I only ordered them, once I confirmed that I could program them... It's inconvenient when I have to go to the post office, and possibly pay import duties etc.
I really like this whole PIC thing, and I did not expect it to get this good...
No, it's OK to order them, just don't abuse the service (don't order tons of them, or they will BAN your country...)

i heard about that... wasnt that australia or something... that wouldnt be nice...

Clyd3 said:
i heard about that... wasnt that australia or something... that wouldnt be nice...
I also heard about Australia, that was funny. My country used to be banned too, but they restarted giving samples again in January (One firm was getting few sample packages per day, and they were SELLING them LOL ).

you know what
I would actually buy them strait, I mean they're so cheap
But I'm more concerned about the shipping prices, and the samples ship for free, so it works out fine...
The shop people here resell for WAY TOO MUCH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back