Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DSL modem traffic monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateElectro

Hi,

I just registered for this site and read some threads to see where I need to post my question. So, if this is not the best place, please direct me to where I need to post this.

Thanks

I know you can run some programs on your computer to monitor the network traffic, but, let's say I want to build a circuit to put in between the wall jack and the modem to monitor the traffic. Any idea if this can be done? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

between the wall jack and the modem, no deal,slim, you'd need to decode the carrier, and see what the data does from there

however it may be easier to put one between a router(pc) and a modem, to catch all data going through in its digital form, I looked up the pin diagram and it says there are 2tx and 2rx wires, if thats all there is to it then its just a simple matter of using a counter on each wire, where you can then add up the tx and rx bits,

of course i could be over simplifying, and you counter needs to be fast enough to catch the bits, also you may not be accurate since that wont catch all the 0's unless you advance the counter to read by bytes,

just a guess thou, may want to wait for a pro opinion.

connect a computer such as this: https://www.newark.com/jsp/search/p...02&CMP=KNC-GPLA&mckv=|pcrid|13950363021|plid|

and run netwatch (a program that monitors all traffic on a LAN)

then all you have to do is have netwatch keep a log, and you can see not only how much traffic goes through, but where it's coming from and where it's going.

there is no "simple" way of doing it, because the data carrier needs to be properly decoded, and it takes an actual network device to do it.

a much simpler way to do it, is to log on to the statistics page (using your browser) in the modem (most modems take the first address in the subnet, so for 192.168.0.1-254, would be 192.168.0.1), and you can read all of the network statistics from there

to find out what your local address range is, open a command prompt window, and type ipconfig (for windows) or ifconfig (for linux) and look at the IP address for your network card. also you will see an address for the "gateway", and this is your modem address.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back