Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drum triggering circuit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.EM

I hear you can make drum trigger pads using piezo transducers stuck on mouse pad. Well, I assume that when you strike it, the piezo produces a voltage. So, I was wondering if there is a (preferably really simple) circuit that will convert this small, brief voltage into a switching output, like a relay. or if thats not possible, just a controlled voltage output (ie, any voltage above 1v from piezo triggers output voltage of 4v).

I think that its fairly simple, it could be done with op-amps, but theyare tricky to power, so and suggestion that uses discrete components would be welcome.

Ultimately, i'd like it to convert to MIDI, but I don't really care for the hassle, as I don't need velocity and multiple channels etc. Just something fun.

Actually, just thought. You know those little chips that record a couple of seconds audio? Perhaps I could load these up with different drum sounds. If anyone knows anything about that, let me know...

Dr.EM said:
Well, I assume that when you strike it, the piezo produces a voltage.
That's correct.
Dr.EM said:
I think that its fairly simple, it could be done with op-amps, but they are tricky to power ...
I have used an LM311 voltage comparator to condition the signal from piezo transducers before. All you need is a couple of resistors on the input (a pot?) for sensitivity and a pull-up resistor on the output. It can be powered from +5v, so it's logic level compatible. In the attached image, connect pin 4 to gnd and pin 8 to +5v (both not shown). If you want the circuit to output a pulse of a specific width, just feed the LM311 output to the input of a 555 one-shot. Actually, not so difficult.

Here's a link to the LM111/211/311 datasheet: **broken link removed**

FYI, my application was a counter. I had a huge bag of fuses (like AGC2) and wanted to know the precise number. I fed the fuses thru a funnel and the fuses bounced off the piezo disk. The output of the circuit was fed to a digital counter. The fuses bouncing off the disk produced a pulse which I conditioned and sent to the counter. Worked quite well. 8)

JB

**edit** Added schematic image

Attachments

• 311compar.gif
    311compar.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 757
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back