Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drop some knowledge on me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke22

This is a 2-part question. Bear in mind, I'm a financial analyst and have little to no knowledge of circuits aside from what I learned in physics in high school and what I have read on the internet.

1) I want to create a circuit for my sliding door that emits a customized sound when the door (and the circuit) is closed. I want 2 thin, flat metal surfaces (roughly the size of a quarter ? if possible,p referably malleable). I would put one piece on the wall and the other on the door. When the door is closed, the surfaces would touch and complete a circuit. Wires would run from the metal surfaces to a chip (? not sure what the appropriate piece would be) that would emit the customized sound. Is it possible to construct this?

2) Where can I purchase the materials for this project? What would the specific materials be (especially for the chip/piece emitting the run)?

I know it sounds really f-ing dumb. I thought about this as a solution to my girlfriend always closing my sliding door when I want it open. And now that the idea has crossed my mind, I want to do it to kinda prove to myself that I can do it.

Kinda like this link: https://www.ehow.com/how_12139967_make-burglar-alarm-bedroom-door-buzzer.html

Except I want the sound to be customized (i.e. OPEN THE DOOR!) It sounds really simple in my mind, but I'm sure it's more complicated than I think. Please help!!!!

Thanks,
D

actually, a better, and more reliable solution would be a magnetic switch for an alarm system. it might also look neater. or a microswitch with a lever that activates the switch at the end of the door's travel. not as nice looking as the magnetic switch, but it would work.

the magnetic switch comes with a magnet that gets mounted on the door, and the switch itself is mounted on the door frame. i said they are a "neater looking" solution, because they are in nice (usually white or tan colored) plastic enclosures. if you are married, or have a girlfriend, better to have something that looks nice.

Last edited:
This company sells several recordable modules. The smallest are made for greeting cards but may not have the best sound quality.

**broken link removed**

This model would probably offer the best combination of quality and ease of use. It has a built-in switch but won't fit in your door track so you'd have to open the unit and wire in another switch.

**broken link removed**

View attachment 63899

Here's the kind of switch UncleJed's describing (and I was going to).

**broken link removed**

View attachment 63900

Conveniently, both available from the same source.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, this is awesome. I appreciate the solution unclejed, and while it sounds more feasible, I want to do the wiring part of this project and see it come together. I like the link that KJ6EAD included, but I can't really decide which recording module is best. What does it mean when it says I would need to add a "5V DC Power Supply"? Is that a battery that I need to loop into the circuit? Or is it an outlet plug? I want this circuit to operate without being plugged in. But any suggestions on which module from that link looks best? I want something LOUD. And I guess I need one with a speaker to save myself that extra trouble.

I was thinking this one: **broken link removed**

But then I saw some modules below it that looked like they might be exactly what I'm looking for? Like this: **broken link removed**

I could remove that switch, solder extra wiring to each piece and put the metal surfaces on the end like I originally intended to do. It has a mic for a customized sounds, and if I need it louder, I guess I could just add an amplifier?

Actually, that 2nd link wouldn't work because the switch that I want to remove is only to record the sound, not play it. Does anyone have advice or a suggestion on which module would work best for me?

The BR9 module looks like it could work, but there are a couple of things missing in the datasheet:
1) Is it a momentary press that plays back the sound or does it play only if holding the button.
2) We don't know if the switch is Normally open or normally closed to play. Paralleling a switch is easy if it is normally open.
3) How easy is it to make the switch external?

I suspect, it's a momentary push, but for how long do you have to push it for the module to start playing back? It's probably a normally open switch, but I HATE assuming things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back