Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving relay via 1amp contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I have a 1 amp contact (from a PIR) driving a a relay G5V-2 Omron. I dropped in a current limiting resistor and it draws .250ma so that is all good.

The Omron relay powers a 12VDC 1.5 amp strobe night. I know transistors need a diode to block the kick from the relay coil. Would it buy me anything to add the diode for the contacts? I do not think there would be enough to
weld the PIR contacts.

It works fine, so I think I am good to go, but before I install it I thought I would see if anyone had other ideas.

I do not think there would be enough to weld the PIR contacts
. No, but the spike from the Omron relay can make its way down the power leads into your PIR or other circuitry powered from the same source. So yes, add the diode across the Omron's coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back