Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving Multiple LED's - Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecialAgentBob

Hello everyone!

Glad to see such a supportive site for electronics.

I have a quick, most likely extremely simple question that I'm having a difficult time. Currently, I'm programming a circuit to drive a "sequence" of LEDs (with two designed to be on at one time), however, when I apply power to both LEDs, the second one to go high in the code will turn off the first one.

The code seems to work if I simply turn the entire PORTC on, such as with PORTC = 0xff. However, sending individual commands with RB6, RB7, and RB3 will only allow for one LED to be powered at once.

For example:

RC6 = 1; // LED 1
RC7 = 1; // LED 2

The code above will only make RC7 go high.

I apologize in advanced if this subject has been touched on, or if it is stated directly in the datasheet. I have tried searching, with no luck so far.

Appreciate the help in advanced.
Michael

SpecialAgentBob,

Which pic are you using - and what is the exact code that you are suing to set the pins?
Have a look on your data-sheet for read-modify-write. If you change a pin it will read the port, modify the bit & write the port. If you have not configured the port correctly (turn off comparators etc) the will always read beck as 0 (zero). :)

Last edited:
Thanks for such a prompt response! :)

Here is the code:

Code:
#include <pic.h>
#include <delay.h>

void main(void)
{

#define LED_OPEN TRISC6
#define LED_LOCKED TRISC7
#define LED_CLOSE TRISC3

#define SW_DIR TRISB7
#define SW_LOCKED TRISB6

#define IN 1
#define OUT 0

#define LED_OPEN_PIN RC6
#define LED_LOCKED_PIN RC7
#define LED_CLOSE_PIN RC3

#define SW_PIN RB7
#define SW_LOCKED_PIN RB6

while(1)	// continually
	{   
		RBPU = 0;		// enable internal pullups on PORTB

LED_OPEN = OUT;
		LED_LOCKED = OUT;
		LED_CLOSE = OUT;

SW_DIR = IN;
		SW_LOCKED = IN;

if(SW_PIN == 1 && SW_LOCKED_PIN == 0)
		{
			// Then open the door
			// First illuminate lock
			LED_LOCKED_PIN = 1;
			DelayMs(100);

// Now open the door
			LED_OPEN_PIN = 1;
			DelayMs(2000);

LED_OPEN_PIN = 0;
			DelayMs(100);

LED_LOCKED_PIN = 0;

while(1)
			{
				// Door open
				if(SW_PIN == 1)
				{
					// Door close
					// First illuminate lock
					LED_LOCKED_PIN = 1;
					DelayMs(100);

// Now close the door
					LED_CLOSE_PIN = 1;
					DelayMs(2000);

LED_CLOSE_PIN = 0;
					DelayMs(100);

LED_LOCKED_PIN = 0;

break;
				}
			}
		}
		else if(SW_LOCKED_PIN == 1)
		{
			LED_LOCKED_PIN = 1;
		}
		else
		{
			LED_LOCKED_PIN = 0;
			LED_OPEN_PIN = 0;
			LED_CLOSE_PIN = 0;
		}
	}
}

This is being compiled in MPLAB, and programmed onto a PIC16F690. After reviewing the datasheet, I do not feel as if the comparator is causing the problem - though I don't understand much about it. ;)

As for the read-write-modify possibility, I never knew that could cause a problem! However, the delays in my code after the pins go high separate out the read-write-modify process, meaning the modify is taking place way in front of the next read, correct?

Thanks for the help!
Michael

Have a look at the data-sheet - top of page 76 (Port C config.) ANSEL & ANSELHI need to be configured or ports will read 0. CMCON also needs to be set.

Try adding to start of code:

CMCON0 = 7 //set digital I/O
ANSEL = 0 //

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back