Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

driving lcd display

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.man

hey guys!

i want to drive an lcd using genral i/o

anyone to provide sample of flowcharts and/or example codes in c using any lcd display with avr microcontrollers!

It all depends on what kind of LCD you want to drive. Basically, download the data sheet for the LCD driver you have, this will tell you the commands to send to it and in what order they're needed. Coding this into a microcontroller should then be trivial! The data sheets usually even provide nice little flowcharts like you requested. But without knowing what LCD you're trying to use, we can do little to help.

Norlin said:
It all depends on what kind of LCD you want to drive. Basically, download the data sheet for the LCD driver you have, this will tell you the commands to send to it and in what order they're needed. Coding this into a microcontroller should then be trivial! The data sheets usually even provide nice little flowcharts like you requested. But without knowing what LCD you're trying to use, we can do little to help.

i'm using 14-pin HD44780 -based lcd. and i want to operate it in a 4-bit mode

Do you have the data sheet? Did you take a look at it? If not, the first google hit for HD44780 gave me a datasheet, see: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/HD44780.pdf
Page 23 even gives you a step by step for initializing the thing, 24 gives you the commands. You just have to send the 8-bit command in two 4-bit nibbles back to back, couldn't get much easier. Just send the appropriate clock pulses as you send data.

Norlin said:
Do you have the data sheet? Did you take a look at it? If not, the first google hit for HD44780 gave me a datasheet, see: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/HD44780.pdf
Page 23 even gives you a step by step for initializing the thing, 24 gives you the commands. You just have to send the 8-bit command in two 4-bit nibbles back to back, couldn't get much easier. Just send the appropriate clock pulses as you send data.

thanks a lot! i'm having a look at it, i'll come back if i have something to be clarified!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back