Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving an N channel Mosfet in a H Bridge on higher side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dummy123

Hi

I am trying to find out how to drive an N channel Mosfet on the high side of a H bridge. The H Bridge drives a stepper motor.

I understand in order to drive the N mosfet in reverse the Gate voltage must be between 4 to 7 V higher than the Supply Voltage. Say the motor voltage is 20 V then the gate voltage must be 24-27 V???? If so, does the gate current also increase compared to driving the N mosfet on the lower side?

If the rest of the board has an additional 12 V and 5V supply for the logic, why can you not only add these to the motor supply voltage and thus obtain the gate drive voltage of +-25V? Why doe you require a charge pump or voltage doubler if this is possible? If this is possible, how do you protect the logic circuit from any back EMF of the motor.

I am a newbee and any help would be highly appreciated.

If your logic chips have their ground connected to the +20V line and are powered by a 25V supply then they can drive the high side mosfets. Your big problem then is how to turn off your low side fets.

Mike.

You might check the Allegro site and general search for bootstrap circuits. It worked well for me and only requires a high speed diode, ~1 mfd cap and an individual opt isolator for each MOSFET.

Aside from floating supplies (isolated DC converters or boot-straps) and transformer drive, here are non-isolated, non-floating high-side drivers with things like diodes, zeners, capacitors, resistors, and BJTs:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back