Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving 7 Segment Display with Microchip 8 Bit Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve NA

Hi, I'm currently driving 7 segment LED displays using the A/D input.
The displays work well, but because the A/D input has a minor amount of ripple (a few millivolts),
there's chatter or a ghosting between segments.
I have tried to minimize the ripple, and was wondering if there's something in code that can stop this.
I'm a novice and work only with assembly at this point.

Thanks, Steve.

the ghosting in the segments would most likly be caused by to fast a refresh rate, try clearing the display when updating them, as in: clear PORTB, move UPDATED code to PORTB.

Thanks for your comment. I had tried changing the clock frequency previously, but it didn't seem to help.
I can now see how clearing the Port will help.

Thanks again.

As Joe says before switching commons on the dispaly turn all the segments off, or this will happen.
If your confident this isnt the case, try taking say 8 measurements over equal amounts of time, then add them together and divide by 8 to get an average, this should smoothen out the display, as long as the input doesnt vary wildly.
Dividing by 8 is simple enough just shift right 3 times.

You can
  1. Average value over a fixed number of sample
  2. add a delay after displaying a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back