Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

driving 64 transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bm_masri

Hello,

I have a newbie question. I'm trying to find CMOS or circuit that using 6 Micro controller pins I need to control 64 transistors. These transistors will driver 64 digits (7-seg LEDs).

My thinking is to use 6 BCD decoder/multipler (if one available) to control these 64 digits (transistors). If that is not possible, how can I control 64 digits with the least amount of PIC pins?

Can someone help me please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Connect some shift registers to the PIC to do this. The 74HC595 is well suited because it has a built in latch as well. Cascade as many as you need using the same 3 pins on the PIC. You can also look at multiplexing the digits to reduce the number of transistors and pins required. Or choose a PIC with more pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back