Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

drive a stepper motor by L6208

Status
Not open for further replies.

gas

hello,

now i am doing a project. it is driving a stepper motor by L6208.
the datasheet of L6208 said that it can support a current 5.6A, but now, it only support 1A.well the torque is not enough. if i want a higher torque, what should i do.
P.S.:my circuit is samilar with the one supplied by the datasheet.
thank you for your useful help!
Joyce

hi...
what device is used to drive the stepper out from the floppy drive 3.5??
ive noticed that the stepper motor of the floppy drive have 4 wires only...
pls can somebody tell me what device to use and how to used it??
a schematic will be highly appreciated...tnx..

gas
Which kind of torque are we talking about. Are we talking about "holding torque" where the motor is not moving, or are we talking about torque at some speed. All stepper motors have resonances where the torque drops abruptly to zero. You can get around this problem by ramping the velocity up and back down again. Are you doing this? There is also an upper speed limit where the torque is zero and there is no workaround.

reyandy
A stepper with four wires is probably a bipolar stepper motor. Searh this and other forums for threads on how to drive them.

Papabravo said:
gas
Which kind of torque are we talking about. Are we talking about "holding torque" where the motor is not moving, or are we talking about torque at some speed. All stepper motors have resonances where the torque drops abruptly to zero. You can get around this problem by ramping the velocity up and back down again. Are you doing this? There is also an upper speed limit where the torque is zero and there is no workaround.

reyandy
A stepper with four wires is probably a bipolar stepper motor. Searh this and other forums for threads on how to drive them.
thank you for your reply
now the output current is only 1 amp, then the torque of the motor is small and not enough. so i want to make the torque higher by operating the driver L6208. so it is my question, which parameter should i change, in order to make the torque higher.

and now i have another question. how to confirm the value of the resistance and the capacitor on the RC PIN, thank you for your help!
here is the datasheet of L6208:
https://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/8607.pdf

If your motor is pulling 1A, then that is all it ever should pull. ohms law. you could increase the voltage to get more torque. the chip is a chopping driver so you should be ok to increase the voltage with out over heating the motor, within the spec'd max, of course.

google for "jones stepper" for a good tutorial.

What you gave me a link to was an application note, which is interesting, but it is not a datasheet. I still know nothing about your motor and you did not answer my questions which were:

Is the torque too samll when the motor is standing still or when you try to move the motor?

What spped are you trying to run the motor at?

Are you ramping the velocity up and back down to avoid the resonance points?

Answer these questions and we can proceed, ignore them and you're on you own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back