Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drill Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

lclark

What is the best size drill bit for regular hole through components...common resistors, IC sockets, and such? Thanks in advance!

I use mostly .024" (#73) for most parts. If the layout is tight, and a part has really small leads I might go down to 0.018" (#77) but this is a pretty delicate drill. Sometimes a part has larger than normal leads so I keep a few larger drills all the way up to 0.0465" (#56).

Ditto. I drill all my holes with a .024" bit. It is a bit sloppy for fine leads but still works. It is a tight fit for .1 pin headers but they go in. If in need a few larger holes I enlarge them with a bit in a pin vice or exato knife handle.

I always break those little suckers. So my default is #53 drill.

I tend to avoid anything as large as #53 because it's hard to get a good tent of solder between a .020" wire and a 0.059" hole.

On Boards that I used to make & those that I contract out, I used a 0.8mm(31.496mil) hole for most parts (0.6w resistor, caps, 1n4148 etc) & 1mm (39.37mil) for (4004 diodes, 1W zeners etc..)

This always leaves plenty of room for consistent solder wicking to the top side pad.
However there are instances where I will make a hole a tight fit eg: single sided board & mechanically stressed (heavy) part, the close tolerance hole takes the stress away from the solder join.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back