Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

down light (ceiling)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my friend bought some downlighs ( it seems to me it is energy saving bulbs in it with transformer though he told it is halogen) which is litle big and heavier than ordinary lights available in the market. diamiter is arount 100 to 150mm.

Is this type is safer to install on ceiling on these days. ceiling sheets are made of jib boards. Does it strong enough to hold this type of lamps specially in earthquake area (frequent shakes happening in this area).

Is this old types (with heavy T/F init), is it still manufaturing,

your idea highly appreciated.,

can you post a picture of the bulb/ballast, it would help to identify it. in halogen lightling, 12V is usually used, a large transformer is used to step down from mains voltage. Usually the transformer is installed on the floor or attached to a solid part of the wall (hidden out of sight mind). and then light weight (compaired to a transformer) are layed to the bulbs. There is no real reason to have a halogen bullb transformer located in the ceiling.

As Pyroandrew suggested the lights could be incadescant running at 12 volts or a fluorescent (or HID but not likely). I have small downlights that might be similar though they do run at mains (120 here in US) voltage. The same fixtures can also be had with 12 volt bulbs using a transformer that is remotely installed.

If earthquakes are an issue it would seem that there is a generally understood practice used by installers when installing overhead items. I'll ask the electrical guys here in the office if they know anything about that. Certainly a heavier fixture would demand more attention and special care in an earthquake zone.

I think he has an old-fashioned compact-flourescent bulb with a heavy coil for a ballast instead of a modern lightweight SMPS circuit.
In a store I tried a lightweight one in a cheap Chinese light fixture and the flimsy bracket that held the light socket bent down from the weight. The Chinese are good at making firecrackers so maybe they put hydrogen in their incandescent lightbulbs to make them float in the air (Bang when turned on). :lol:
I wouldn't want anything heavy above me if I am in an earthquake zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back