Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

doubt in domestic current

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have two question

1)voltage coming from our home wall socket is sine wave or sinusoidal wave.my confusion is we use vrms to get it average since average of sin wave is zero that same if there is phase shift it may become cos wave so there is chance for we can call it as sinusoidal wave isnt it?

2) For current to get through ,the ground is need.so if i touch wall socket current with slipper.does current pass through me or if i hang the power wire that going on post(space) without my leg touching ground ,does the current pass through?

for a sine wave ( abbrev.) Vrms = Vp /√2

Household power is ONLY grounded at outside distribution transformer to Neutral with Line 1 & 2 which are 180° out of phase to yield 2x voltage. L1 to L2 for heavy appliances.

Current must flow on Neutral , not ground to avoid ground fault with unsafe ground voltage from voltage drop due to wire resistance.

If you ground yourself, and touch hot wire ( L1 or L2 ) you will conduct current according to resistance.

Hi,

Vrms is not the same as the average, and although the mathematical average of a sine wave is zero the voltage average is not considered to be zero but the average of the absolute value of the wave.

Current depends on resistance.

Hi,

Vrms is not the same as the average, and although the mathematical average of a sine wave is zero the voltage average is not considered to be zero but the average of the absolute value of the wave.

Current depends on resistance.
We do use the term "average" when we consider either the statistical average of 1 cycle or many cycles.
the former is just the average DC of a full wave rectified sine wave.

the latter is the average RMS or the mean RMS to be more precise in English statistics.

We do use the term "average" when we consider either the statistical average of 1 cycle or many cycles.
the former is just the average DC of a full wave rectified sine wave.

the latter is the average RMS or the mean RMS to be more precise in English statistics.

Hi,

Not sure what you are saying here. How do you calculate the "mean RMS" ?
The RMS is already the square root of the mean of the square. There's no mean for a single quantity like 1/sqrt(2), approx 0.7071 and which is the RMS value of a sine wave with peak 1.

The average value of the sine is actually called the average, but it's not zero, it's the average of the sine from 0 to one half cycle period, or the average of the absolute value of the sine over any integer number of half cycles. This would also be a single number equal to 2/pi (approx 0.6366) for a sine with peak 1.

The average is the rectified voltage, not the raw signal.

The mean RMS is just averaged over time, rather than instantaneous.
Power quality has its variations known by surge, crest factor, brown outs, and std deviations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back