Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doubt about opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

premkumar9

Hi,
I tried an opamp (TL082) as a buffer stage (output pin connected to negative input ). When I gave +15 and -15 supply and varied the positive input from 0 to 10 V, the output was not going above 9.4V. But when I connected GND to - supply point (instead of -15V) I got 10V output for 10V input. Why does this happen?

Don't know. It should give 10V output in either case.
What's the op amp load?
Post your circuit diagram.

You circuit is very simple and I see no reason for the anomaly you observed.
Double check all the wiring and voltages.

Here +15V and -12V supplies are given to the OpAmp. The source has 0-10V variation with respect to its GND. This GND is not directly connected to any of the OpAmp pins as there is no GND pin for it. Is this OK?

Just to remove any ambiguity, make sure that it is connected like this:

OPAmp.JPG

JimB

Afterthought:
Make sure that the supplies are well decoupled to ensure that the opamp is not oscillating.

Thank you for the reply. I think, oscillation is the reason. I can see oscillation in the output beyond certain input level (checked with oscilloscope). Where can I get more information on the probable reason and solution for such problems?

Is that opamp requested to supply 20 mA to the load?

I would check the datasheet but it seems too much for that opamp. I could be wrong.

The TL082 is dual op amp, what is the other channel doing?
Is it just sitting there with floating inputs? That could be a source of problems.
Look here for how and why to deal with an un used op-amp:

Also, what about the supplies?
Are they good and "stiff", proper power supplies or new batteries, not some unknown wall wart or a half flat battery.

JimB

Do you have decoupling capacitors directly from the op amp power pins to ground?

The TL082 is dual op amp, what is the other channel doing?
Is it just sitting there with floating inputs? That could be a source of problems.
Look here for how and why to deal with an un used op-amp:

Also, what about the supplies?
Are they good and "stiff", proper power supplies or new batteries, not some unknown wall wart or a half flat battery.

JimB
Thank you for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back