Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

door

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvgap

so i am attempting in my infinite noob knowledge to think of a way for a circuit to turn on when a door is open. I came up with an idea but i would like to see if their is a better, more standard, way to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

You can either use a micro switch or a reed switch mounted in the door frame that is operated by a magnet attached to the door.

For examples, see www.jaycar.com.au and search for catalogue numbers

SM-1002, LA-5070, LA-5072, LA-5074 & LA-5075

haha, i was thinking of a reed switch, but how would that work. I thought that with a reed switch the circuit is activated when the magnet is by the switch. I would want the circuit to turn on when the door is swung open, the magnet is away from the circuit.

You can get both "normally open" type reed switches and the "normally closed" type. Most reed switches for security systems are the "normally closed" type; the switch is ON when the door is closed. You want the opposite which is harder to find but they do exist.

kchriste said:
You can get both "normally open" type reed switches and the "normally closed" type. Most reed switches for security systems are the "normally closed" type; the switch is ON when the door is closed. You want the opposite which is harder to find but they do exist.

How about using 2 magnets? One mounted on the reedswitch, and one on the door...

[[[[]]]] mag1
--{{{}}}--- reedswitch
___________________ door
[[[[]]]] mag2

Have a play, it does actually work!!!

I'd simply use the standard reed switch/magnet assemblies designed for doors and windows and available from a myriad of sources. All the reed switch assemblies for this application that I have provide BOTH N.O. and N.C. contacts. No jerry-rigging necessary.

Dean

hvgap said:
**broken link removed** this seems to come with both, would this work for my application?
That link did not work. But I have the JayCar paper catalogue.

The LA-5070 has NO and NC contacts.

So you can use the NO side which is what you asked for in your initial post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back