Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Don't understand this transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who remember?, we used to replace faulty metal (selinium) rectifiers with a silicon diode and a series resistor - the resistor is needed to drop the voltage to the same as the metal rectifier provided.

Yes I do remember...When they burned out they really smelt horrible. And later I learned Selenium may be poisonous. That may explain some of my hair loss:D

In what way are they any different to anything else?, Marshall are probably one of the most highly rated guitar amps, and certainly by far the highest in rock music.

Marshall make good workhorse amps, with a good biting crunchy tone. I like rock and I like the Marshall sound. They use a relatively standard amp circuit though, there's not a lot to learn looking at a Marshall schematic.

MesaBoogie make more of a "boutique amp" yeah I know thats a tosser of a term but it applies. They make smaller tube amps with a lot of special sound adjustment features (as you can see above even on the PSU there are things that adjust the sound). Hence the fun at seeing a schematic.

Listen to Carlos Santana for a good example of that MesaBoogie silky warm sound. He uses their amps and you can hear it. For some players the sound is over-complex, if you are a Marshall guy you would probably find it muddy and messy. But over-complex or not you won't find many people that say Santana sounds bad.

Listen to Carlos Santana for a good example of that MesaBoogie silky warm sound. He uses their amps and you can hear it. For some players the sound is over-complex, if you are a Marshall guy you would probably find it muddy and messy. But over-complex or not you won't find many people that say Santana sounds bad.

Carlos Santana sounds great because he's a great guitarist, more than the amp he uses - as all the great guitarists do. A great guitarist makes anything sound brilliant, and a poor one sounds poor no matter what he (or she) uses.

I'm a PA guy, not a guitarist, and 'mostly' use solid state guitar and bass amps.

Valves were used in the old days, simply because high voltage diodes were not available.

I bet you were used in the old days as an everything-better-knowing school teacher. :D

Perhaps it explains mine as well? :p

And let's not forget the Barium in the valve's getters.
And the poisonous electrolyte in caps.
And the 60/40 Sn/Pb solder.
And the caustic flux...........

Plus all the exposed hazardous voltages and red-hot valves.

It was FUN!!:D

Last edited:
Carlos Santana sounds great because he's a great guitarist, more than the amp he uses - as all the great guitarists do.

I understand that. I play rock guitar too although not often enough these days. And I have a lot of years experience fixing tube amps so i know that different brand amps definitely have a "sound".

If you get a chance listen to Santana's recent solo album, the purple one. The last song is a big informal duet between Santana and Eric Clapton with Santana on his warm Boogie amp and Clapton's amp with a much cleaner "British" sound. Both guitarists are famous for their slow smooth playing style and it's a real treat to hear them messing about together (and a great demo of what the MesaBoogie sounds like).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back