Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dont understand electric fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

florida

From what I gather electricity flows through the fence wire and is grounded to the soil. The soil is the return path. Current runs through the soil into a buried galvanized rod and then back up to the power energizer. My question is, "Why doesn’t the soil create resistance?" You would think that dry sandy soil would drop the voltage so much that it would diminish the effect of the shock. Also, is the current constantly flowing through the circuit or only when someone touches it?
I’m using a 120 volt AC 60 HZ with intermittent output
Thanks

"Why doesn’t the soil create resistance?" You would think that dry sandy soil would drop the voltage so much that it would diminish the effect of the shock.
The soil does add resistance. But even dry soil is conductive enough that you'll still get a shock.

Also, is the current constantly flowing through the circuit or only when someone touches it?
Besides leakage due to imperfect insulators, only when someone or some animal touches it.

I’m using a 120 volt AC 60 HZ with intermittent output
I hope you are using a proper fencer and NOT directly connected AC line voltage! :eek:

Thanks, Im using the Saco 3 electric fence box. I have a bunch of pvc fence post with holes drilled in them to hold the wire. I dont think that pvc would conduct too much current.

Last edited:
PVC has good dielectric properties. Some PVC doesn't last very long in sunlight due to UV. Make sure the PVC you are using is UV stabilized, which it should be if it was designed to be used as a fence post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back