Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

doll house lighting (simple - newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckoral

I installed in parallel 8 lamps rated 14v @ 270mA. I would like to power them to be the brightest possible, and possibly install a dimmer. My first transformer worked great for about 5 min, then fried. I simply don't have the knowledge to do this and could use some help.

This time I bought a transformer rated 25.2v @ 2amp and bought a pack of 2amp fuses. I ran one side of the tap so that would be 12.6V. Same thing happened. It runs for about 5 min's then blows the fuse I put in place. Thank goodness I bought fuses for it.

8 lamps wired in parallel
14V 270mA Incandescent Flashlight Bulb (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com
transformer
25.2V CT 2.0A Heavy-Duty Chassis-Mount Transformer with Lead - RadioShack.com

I am thinking, Since the bulbs only have one ohm of resistance collectively, I am basically shorting the transformer out. But if I put a resistor of some sort in the mix, the voltage/current drop is not enough to power the lights nicely.

Could someone please help me with this issue so I don't have to spend a tone of money on transformers? Also, if you have any suggestions for a box to put my transformer in along with any radioshack part numbers I might need to get.

Thank You, I should know this.... but my brain seems to be not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back