Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doing an electronics project for employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

It is my first time ever doing any kind of electronics design for my employer, currently I am still a student going for Engineering and my job title does not include engineer or design in it. I have no official contract with the project, but I worked on a working prototype of the design, and want to present it to my boss. I have questions on how to protect myself and design if there is no contract, and about how to ask for a bonus or raise based on the design if it saves the company over $150/unit buying the commercial solution.

Just want real world advice if possible :) kinda nervous and excited at the same time. I figured my working prototype could be used as leverage for a bonus and raise. Since they asked me to design this knowing I'm a student, I dont want to be taken advantage of by doing far superior work beyond my current pay scale and job title.

You allready have a contract: He is your employer. Any work you do is the company's property. You are getting paid, aren't you? Benefits will come, after you do a good job! E

Thanks, do you have any advice to use this opportunity to start to build a portfolio of projects for future employment, The job I'm at isn't in my field its a general college type job just to pay the bills. I would like to use this though toward experience and recommendation to future employers since experience is so hard to get nowadays with little internship opportunities from companies in my area. Should I keep everything, document everything, and maybe start a blog about all professional and personal projects I've done?

Is that something they ask to see in interviews for Electrical Engineering jobs?

Should I keep everything, document everything, and maybe start a blog about all professional and personal projects I've done?
Is that something they ask to see in interviews for Electrical Engineering jobs?
This sort of thing has been discussed on another engineering related forum, have a look here:
https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=321417
My own view is that you need to respect the various employers commercial confidentiality where appropriate when showing off work done for one company to other potential employers. They may think to themselves,
"In a couple of years time, this Herbert will be showing our stuff to our competitors."
Not a good way to get a job.

I am not trying to take a leak in your Cheerios, but maybe you need to curb your enthusiasm and expectations a little bit.

JimB

Great points JimB, yeah I took into consideration most of those cost points, expect maintenance and reliability. I can see why it may be a bad idea to show the ideas you did for one company to another. This job is a student job I have no plans of staying more than one more year as there are no positions in the company in my field

You allready have a contract: He is your employer. Any work you do is the company's property. You are getting paid, aren't you? Benefits will come, after you do a good job! E

I agree, and whatever you create for your employer, belongs to him.
It would be nice if he gives you a promotion/raise/bonus but you are building your reputation. A glowing reference from him might make a big difference in starting your career and getting the jobs you want.
On the other hand, I was good buddies with a manager that I worked for. I impressed him with creativity on a regular basis. He hated to see me go but he never did get around to writing a work reference for me. But he did make a great personal reference if a prospective employer bothered to call him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back