Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does this exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I am looking for a normal toggle switch (on/off switch, just like the house hold light switch) that uses magnets to change the position. Not like a relay where you have to hold current on the coil to keep it in position, but just quickly send current to a coil to toggle the position of the switch, and then release current.

I hope that makes sense. :eek:

thanks

Like a latching relay?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay
Scroll down a bit to where it says "Types of Relays"

What you describe could aslo be done with flip-flops or a micro-controller for a solid state circuit.

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
I am looking for a normal toggle switch (on/off switch, just like the house hold light switch) that uses magnets to change the position. Not like a relay where you have to hold current on the coil to keep it in position, but just quickly send current to a coil to toggle the position of the switch, and then release current.

thanks

Why can't you use a ratchet relay?

Not sure if you must use electro-magnets or magnets, but a D-type flip-flop sounds like the simple way to pulse and toggle something.

Marks256 said:

thanks

Don't know if a commercial one is commonly available but one could certainly build on using a magnet glued on the end of the switch handle and a reed switch orientation to close the reed in the one position and release the reed when in the open position.

Lefty

What do you want to do? For instance, you could you use an ordinary relay, and use one set of contacts to maintain current to the coil after the input pulse has ended. If you want another pulse to turn it off, you can add another relay in series with that feedback circuit.
This will only maintain state while you have power though.

The difference between a latching relay, and a flip-flop or a PIC driving a normal relay, is that the latching relay only draws power for a few tens of milliseconds during switching.

I think Marks needs to come back and give more detail on this ;)

Isn't a latching relay and a ratchet relay the same thing?

I re-read the quote from Lefty's comment. And I was lost a little myself.

I agree with Andy. Marks, what are you trying to do? :D

Sorry. :eek:

I want to automate a light switch! :) Andy is in the right ball park for what i want, but i would also like some sort of manual override (which is why i want it to be some sort of switch)

I just have this crazy little idea in my head, and just want to see if i could make it into something useful.

The reason i don't want to use a normal relay is because it takes current to keep them in one of the positions. Since the light i want to turn on/off is on almost as much as it is off, it kinda defeats the purpose (wasted electricity just keeping the relay on)

Once again, i hope this makes sense. :s it has been a long day...

Manual override would be a short or open around the project. Like the X10 stuff. That part is easy.

Marks256 said:
Sorry. :eek:

{snip}The reason i don't want to use a normal relay is because it takes current to keep them in one of the positions. Since the light i want to turn on/off is on almost as much as it is off, it kinda defeats the purpose (wasted electricity just keeping the relay on)
{snip}
QUOTE]

Here is a relay that doesn't use any power, just a short pulse for ON another for OFF. But you have to figure out the override for yourself.
http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/datasheets/PCKWK.pdf

It really depends on how you want it to work. Does the switch have to physically move when the "auto" function activates? If not, you could wire it the same way that it is normally done when you want to control a single light with two switches but just replace one of the switches with a latching relay:

Attachments

• lamp.png
    lamp.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 147
How would the automation work? What will turn it on or off? Photocell? Timer? Motion Detector? Noise? Remote?

Where will the power to switch the relay come from? DC low voltage? Or 120vac? Is it an AC line voltage light or somthing else?

Ok, i am REALLY tired at the moment, but i will TRY to explain exactly what i want to do.

kchriste said:
Does the switch have to physically move when the "auto" function activates?

yes, i would like the switch to physically move when the "auto" function activates.

My idea is that there would be two 12 volt dc coils on either side of the switch (just like a relay), and the actual switch has to be able to take 120vac. I would probably interface it to my computer or a microcontroller (yes, 3v0, i still intend to start with uc's, but i have been really busy lately... :))

So in basic terms, i would like an electromagnet to flip a switch on and off. I would also prefer it to be in a professional package... I could make one myself, but that might not be very reliable... that is why i am wondering if there is a such thing on the market...

so you want it to be like a normal switch, that you can turn on by yourself, but with a electromagent inside to make the switch, switch remotly?

things said:
so you want it to be like a normal switch, that you can turn on by yourself, but with a electromagent inside to make the switch, switch remotly?

Yes, kinda... I want it so the switch can be used like a normal light switch (manual on/off), plus i wan the switch to be able to be turned on/off automatically via electromagnets.

Bill said:
What's wrong with X10 stuff (aside from it's somewhat unreliable)
I am assuming it isn't very cheap... besides, i would like to make something myself...

What might be better is to design something like an electronic light switch/dimmer with two momentary buttons. Then it will be easy to control the lights automatically and the user can also override at will. I don't think you'll find a commercial one where the toggle physically moves by itself.
Maybe something like the 6124H-I:
https://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=6215&section=17138

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
Ok, i am REALLY tired at the moment, but i will TRY to explain exactly what i want to do.

yes, i would like the switch to physically move when the "auto" function activates.

My idea is that there would be two 12 volt dc coils on either side of the switch (just like a relay), and the actual switch has to be able to take 120vac. I would probably interface it to my computer or a microcontroller (yes, 3v0, i still intend to start with uc's, but i have been really busy lately... :))

So in basic terms, i would like an electromagnet to flip a switch on and off. I would also prefer it to be in a professional package... I could make one myself, but that might not be very reliable... that is why i am wondering if there is a such thing on the market...

Well I'm pretty sure you won't find a off the self solution, but there are components that could be made to work.

Of course if you ONLY needed manual operation, with no computer interface, then a simple push-on, push-off switch would work.

If you need manual AND electrical activation then you are going to have to look at a two coil latching relay with additional manual push button switches or a stepper relay with only every other contact being wired together to the load, used along with a push button switch for manual operation.

Of course you could do the whole thing with just logic/triac components along with a manual push button.

Your project, your decisions....... ;)

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back