Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does someone know what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlw613sp

I have a radio in my truck and I would like to mount the detachable faceplate remotely from the actual headunit. I was wondering if the connections were common and if I could buy a short ribbon cable to connect between them?

Here's 2 pics...it's 24 pin
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Your post is to Vague.

Most likely none will answer. Because this is a connection that most would find familiar but, as with all devices the manufacturer only know for sure.

Thats why a schematic is alway's welcome here. I wouldn't take any chances trying to fit it. All you need is one terminal reversed. That's when you smell smoke and say, I really shouldn't have done that:D

Last edited:
Most likely none will answer. Because this is a connection that most would find familiar but, as with all devices the manufacturer only know for sure.

Thats why a schematic is alway's welcome here. I wouldn't take any chances trying to fit it. All you need is one terminal reversed. That's when you smell smoke and say, I really shouldn't have done that:D

Not sure I agree: since the one part fits directly into the other, there's a 1-to-1 correspondence between pins on both connectors, so no chance of a mis-connection. So isn't this basically just a mechanical problem? In other words, does there exist a ribbon cable that would fit into both connectors?

well i know I could always solder the connections to each other I've seen it done before. I was just wondering if I could do a plug-and-play. You say it's probably very common...so does that mean you (at least pretty sure) know what it is?

Not sure I agree: since the one part fits directly into the other, there's a 1-to-1 correspondence between pins on both connectors, so no chance of a mis-connection. So isn't this basically just a mechanical problem? In other words, does there exist a ribbon cable that would fit into both connectors?

I re-read the post.

A one to one will work if you can find the right connector and replace them according to the placement of your head unit.

Thank you. carbonzit.

My apologies for not reading it correctly. "tlw613sp"

I do not think it would work as the faceplate is most likely "dumb" and a bunch of high speed digital signals are transmitted through this connector. Adding wire could degrade operability to no-function. E

I do not think it would work as the faceplate is most likely "dumb" and a bunch of high speed digital signals are transmitted through this connector. Adding wire could degrade operability to no-function. E

Interesting I didn't think about impedance and signal degradation. That could be a problem.

But, a connector should be in-expensive and worth the try. Just post your conclusions. As both both are correct.

Thank you and yes I have thought about the signal, but I'm only moving it maybe a foot to the side so it shouldn't be too much. But I still need to know what type of connector I would need

Thank you and yes I have thought about the signal, but I'm only moving it maybe a foot to the side so it shouldn't be too much. But I still need to know what type of connector I would need

Edit: Ok, Find a ribbon of the same # and then de-solder the connector of the head. Then install the ribbon between. It has now been extended.

Last edited:
You could use a IDE / EIDE cable. It should work as an extender to your head unit.

**broken link removed**

Edit: you will have to solder the cable directly to the Connector of the head unit between the connector and the Head Unit.

Very messy indeed if you have not experience doing this don't try.

Last edited:
You could use a IDE / EIDE cable. It should work as an extender to your head unit.

Edit: you will have to solder the cable directly to the Connector of the head unit between the connector and the Head Unit.

Very messy indeed if you have not experience doing this don't try.

C'mon, there are supposed to be a bunch of electronics experts here. Surely you can do better than this!

Couldn't you use that stuff, not sure what it's called, the stuff acetate? flat ribbon cable that's used to connect so much stuff together nowadays? I've seen this used extensively in things like computer printers, DVD drives, etc., to connect subassemblies. Someone out there must know what this stuff is called, and what's available. (I'm assuming the O.P. would rather have a cable they could disconnect at some point in the future, say if they wanted to sell their truck or something.)

C'mon, there are supposed to be a bunch of electronics experts here. Surely you can do better than this!

Couldn't you use that stuff, not sure what it's called, the stuff acetate? flat ribbon cable that's used to connect so much stuff together nowadays? I've seen this used extensively in things like computer printers, DVD drives, etc., to connect subassemblies. Someone out there must know what this stuff is called, and what's available. (I'm assuming the O.P. would rather have a cable they could disconnect at some point in the future, say if they wanted to sell their truck or something.)

Ok, then find the OP's connector and be done with it.

Edit: Be the Expert.

"Expert = has been drip under pressure.'

Last edited:
Ok, then find the OP's connector and be done with it.

Edit: Be the Expert.

"Expert = has been drip under pressure.'

That's the thing: I'm not an expert. That's why I hang out here, since there are lots more experienced folks than I who have actually had experience with these things. See how that works?

That's the thing: I'm not an expert. That's why I hang out here, since there are lots more experienced folks than I who have actually had experience with these things. See how that works?

Exactly, now you have the right view. Target someone else.

You have been waiting far to long to exact your opinion. Flex and relax your done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back