Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does Silicon Rubber stuff react with Hcl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I was wondering if Hcl Acid reacts with Silicon Rubber, becuase I was going to make a etching tank and I was going to seal the cracks and holes with that stuff, if it does, what can I use instead? Thanks :)

Connect the joints with an appropriate solvent. That makes a continuous unit of original plastic.

mneary said:
Connect the joints with an appropriate solvent. That makes a continuous unit of original plastic.

As he's using silicon rubber, presumably he's making a glass tank?.

I would imagine silicon rubber would be fine with acid.

Might try and actually read the information printed on the tube, or go to the manufacturer's website. There are a lot of similar products, with very different properties. I did some shopping for silicone-goo, for the purpose of making molds for pewter/lead alloy, around 460 degrees F. Unfortunately, I had no luck figuring out what the magic solvent was, that could thin it down for pooring. Remembered be told as a kid, and it was common...

Anyway, back to the post. It's simple to get the right information, much better then coming home to an empty tank, which I'd guess to be much worse then a few dead fish...

Personally, I would think a smaller plastic container, with a sealable lid would be a better choice. Don't fish tanks usually have metal frames? I just bought a plastic tub large enough to hold 25 lbs of green coffee beans a couple of months ago at Walmart for around $5. Air-tight lid that locks down.

Generic silicone sealants are ususually acidic all by themselves, and you better be very sure of the type of plastic those Wallmart tanks are made out of. Even if it's okay at the start acids can leach the softening agents out of plastic over time and make them brittle and prone to breaking.

I was using plastic tupperware, and It works great, even with just pure muratic acid. It bubbles very well and gets a good distributed flow over the board.

Well not pure Muriatic =) You wouldn't be able to stand being in the same room as that. We use 60% at work, and god forbid you open a drum on a humid day.

When I was younger (13 I know listen though) I was a wiz at chemistry, even better than most of the HS chemistry teachers ( I had those kind of mad skills) and I spilled 12M Hcl Acid on my teachers desk (long coat arm :)) , and their happened to be some aluminum foil sitting conviently nearby, and whoosh! massive amount of (I think) Hydrogen gas was generated and that suspended the Hcl Fumes around the room. I ran out of there as it started dissolving stuff on his desk. He had papers and other stuff that was totally ruined. Fun!

It was 10M 31.5% muratic acid that I have and I was having fun with it last weekend, with no adult supervision :D

I don't think I live enough states away from Krumlink.. Lucky there wasn't a flame or spark nearby.

Last edited:
well there was a bunsen burner about 10 ft away :D

Thank gods for atmospheric stratification =)

Sceadwian said:
I don't think I live enough states away from Krumlink.. Lucky there wasn't a flame or spark nearby.

My location. Case and point.

As for the aluminum foil, try putting some in a flask with HCl, stoppering it(WITH A TUBE TO EXHAUST) and lighting the H2 on fire as it comes out...

you a "wiz" in chemistry? very doubtful. The fact that you ask such questions and are using such chemicals states, that you only think that you know something about chemistry.

Really man! STAY AWAY FROM CHEMISTRY!!! those stories you are telling us aren't funny. I would put you in jail for such behavior, but Luckily I live far enough from the states.

So I say again: STAY AWAY FROM CHEMISTRY

I'm planning to make an etching tank from either glass or plastic.

I intend to use Ammonium Persulphate as the etchant.

The directions say "use only a plastic or pyrex glass tray or etching tank"

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what glue/sealant to use?

Why do they specify pyrex glass?

bloody-orc said:
you a "wiz" in chemistry? very doubtful. The fact that you ask such questions and are using such chemicals states, that you only think that you know something about chemistry.

Really man! STAY AWAY FROM CHEMISTRY!!! those stories you are telling us aren't funny. I would put you in jail for such behavior, but Luckily I live far enough from the states.

So I say again: STAY AWAY FROM CHEMISTRY

Lol, I am crazy!

I was better in particle physics, like quarks, and nuclear physics like that. No really, I was. Then I found electronics, and thus blossomed my passion. :)

HarveyH42 said:
Pyrex is more heat tolerant. Doesn't shatter as easily when cooled too quickly...
Thanks.
I also means that you can pour the hot liquid into it with out it shattering.

use silicon sealant, it works really good, just make sure you get all the cracks and holes with it, and test it with water first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back