Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does PWM DC = half-wave AC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correction

Dear Friend,

In DC pulses the voltage only changes from 0v, to a positive voltage.
To get AC you would need to have say +5v, 0v and -5v

With PWM the time for one complete cycle varies, usually used for power control

Hope this helps

This is an often argued point!.

As far as I'm concerned, switching DC ON and OFF provides AC, if you need it to go -ve and +ve then simply place a capacitor in series with it!.

This provides fullwave squarewave AC.

Re: Correction

Asjad said:
Dear Friend,

In DC pulses the voltage only changes from 0v, to a positive voltage.
To get AC you would need to have say +5v, 0v and -5v

With PWM the time for one complete cycle varies, usually used for power control

Hope this helps
need not to be.. if there is a change in dc voltage wrt time , there is an ac component , all u need is a capacitor to block dc and get ac.

liquidics said:
If I toggle a DC source on and off does that generate a half-wave AC source or is there more to it?

it produces a full-wave AC source with a DC-offset

Thanks all, I get it, PWM DC + Cap as DC filter = full-wave AC

What if I took a PIC MCU which has the ability to sink in the low state and set pin 1 and pin 2 to alternate pulses (1 high & 2 low then 2 high & 1 low) and ran a wire loop between the pins with a Cap in series, would that make a full-wave square-wave AC or a sine-wave because of the Cap? Would there be any benefit/difference to creating AC this way as opposed to a single PWM DC source with cap to ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back