Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

does cranking battery can be alternative to deep cycle battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamun2a

does cranking battery can be alternative to deep cycle battery?

i wish to use car [cranking] battery to the instant power supply [IPS] for long time use. i got deep cycle battery of 12 v 7.2ah available but i need 12v 25ah or higher for long time use, so i want to use cranking as alternative. does it possible?

mamun2a
dhaka, BD

The characteristics of the two:

Deep-cycle battery is capable of smaller peak currents, prolonged current draw and constant charging. You can also discharge it until it's dead and recharge with no problems. They're typically used in recreational vehicles and for trolling motors on boats.

A starting battery is capable of two or three times the heavy peak current you'd get from a deep-cycle battery, required for turning over winter-cold engine -- hundreds of amps of current. If you deep-discharge them until they are dead before recharging, they will have a short life expectancy. They're more designed for brief, high-current draws and that's all.

Dean

Last edited:
dr nigel,
which one will be proper, to buy high amp deep cycle but they r not available in dhaka.
i prefer cranking or this type because they r repairable as far i know.

is it not possible to change a cranking to a deep cycle?

thanks
mamun2a

You can buy batteries which are a compromise between deep cycle and cranking use:
**broken link removed**

How often do you need the high amps? A capacitor bank can provide very high amperage if they're very large, like the type of caps car audio systems use to buffer battery power for peak bass drops. But if you need the high current all the time the only way you'll get it is with the proper battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back