Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rou

Hello,
I have been trying for days now to identify what excactly this compoments is.
Is is from a power supply unit for a photocopier. It is very expensive to buy a whole replacement unit.
Can ou identify this? Any ideas where can I get one of these preferably in the UK?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
It looks like a 470pF capacitor, suitable for mains interference suppression.

The power supply should probably work without it?, was the old one short circuit?.

Thanks for that.
I will give it a go without it to see what happens. There is another compoment (in red circle) that is defenately gone but I got one of those already.
The old one is blown... Its split in half after a power surge... Aparently over 400 volts.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Here is a picture of the back. Red circle on the left is where the compoment I am looking for connects.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 319
Thanks for that.
I will give it a go without it to see what happens. There is another compoment (in red circle) that is defenately gone but I got one of those already.
The old one is blown... Its split in half after a power surge... Aparently over 400 volts.

If you're talking about the one in the right-hand circle in the first picture, it's a large electrolytic capacitor. That should be easy to remove and replace (if you haven't already).
Der Strom

I the picture of the PCB, the small capacitor looks to be split?, if so, and if the large electrolytic is duff as well, I would suggest it's had lightning up the mains.

It's likely to have caused more damage than those two components.

Hello,

I tried changing those 2 compoments but it didnt work. The fuse was gone again straight away.
The problem was caused by electricity surge. Apparantly our neurtual was gone and about 400v managed to go all the way to the socket.
I will not try anything else with this.
Thank you for helping out.

For future reference you can see that main reservoir capacitor is bulging slightly - not a good sign. However I have had them check ok on an esr meter. If the fuse blows violently I would check that rectifier near the capacitor. You might as well try that seeing as you have replaced the other items!

Hello

If you still want to repair it, than I can help you. The small capacitor as told by the others is not the capacitor. Its the "varistor" and its function is to save the other circuitry. It always connect in parallel of the live and neutral. As you say it was damaged due to the high voltage 400v than it must gone burst or shorted down. The other one is the Electrolytic capacitor.
Now I come to the point, just check the bridge which is beside the large capacitor. And also check the transistor or FET beside it. Which is on the heat sink.

Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back