Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will use a 6v battery and I should get around 111V based on a 6.3:117 transformer. And 111v at 1000 ohms is .111Amps AC which is about double the perscribed shock.

I will use a 6v battery and I should get around 111V based on a 6.3:117 transformer. And 111v at 1000 ohms is .111Amps AC which is about double the perscribed shock.
Are you assuming the bird has a resistance of 1000 ohms?

I expect you will probably need several hundred volts to have a reasonable degree of lethality.

No I have measured a dead starlings resistance.
So you measured foot to foot? A true engineer. Well, I imagine a live starling would have the same or lower resistance.

So then 110V may be sufficient.

Have you already purchased the transformer? Otherwise, you might see if you can find a 6.3v:220v unit for added margin.

An added odd thought. The shock could cause the bird's claws to contract and not let go of the perch, even after he's dead. If so you may have to put a timed interrupt in the circuit to shut it off the power after a few seconds.

Yes I measured foot to foot althought foot to beak would probably be more effcient but I dont know how to make a bird bite a cathode.
No I havent bought anything yet I am just waiting for someone to say there is nothing wrong with the schematics.
I hadn't thought about the perch clutching. In attempt to keep it simple I think I will use a perch that the bird cannot grasp(.625dia. rod).

1000 ohms seems really low. If I lick my fingers and squeeze the probes of my DMM as hard as I can I can't get my resistance lower then ~500K (interestingly my wife got it down to ~140K) Touching my tounge with both probes the meter still reads ~50K. I have never measured a dead bird, but 1000 ohms sounds really low for any living thing.

I actually measured it indirectly I measured the amps when I put a 28v across it. I got 2.8mA for a chickadee and 60mA for a starling.

It seems that keratin which is what makes up scales on the feet of birds is a very good insulator. So it would seem that resistance through birds feet would be greater than skin.

I have heard through a grape vine that landfills use hotplates with a voltage of 110V across them and it will dispatch a gull with no problem. But when 220V was hooked up to the plates a gull would get a jolt and it would throw it right off the plates.

Hmmm, interesting. Its nice to see someone that has put some thought and effort into an idea before posting here:)

If you think 120v ac might do the trick, you could build a line voltage proto type. If it works you could then work on a battery circuit. If line voltage works, it would be alot safer and probably easier to try and market.

Just a thought.

I think your right I should make a proto type that plugs in the wall.

I apprecitate all the help from you guys. I will let you know what comes of this project.

Torey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back