Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

does any one know how to make a light saber light

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin886

i was thinking does anyone know how to make a light that looks like a light saber ^
l l
l l
l l
l l
=
l.l
l l
l l
=

It uses'es a neon tube for the light saber glow but if you are making your own movie you can do it digital with a media editor.

Plus it is a little bit expensive for a neon tube that long but it is possible.

You need to find a semi-transparent tube about a meter in length and 4 centimeters in diameter. I can't think of anything specific offhand. Check hobby & craft shops, hardware stores, etc. Basically you want something like a white fluorescent tube without the endcaps, and not nearly as fragile. Then seal one end (even a circle of paper pasted on the end would work here) and attach a flashlight to the other end.
I think this would make an effective prop, even if it doesn't have the same cool factor as the ones in the movies. I don't imagine you're working with a George Lucas budget.

You could bundle a bunch of El wires. They usually come in 4 to 6 foot strands and can be cut to length.
~Mike

You could but it would look tacky
I would just by a neon tube if you want realism
and glow wire if you want a toy.

my friend wanted to make a lightsaber. I was thinking of using some blacklight LEDs, i think they are UV. Anyway, get some extremely bright ones and put them @ the botom of a tube that has a mirror at the other end. Then paint the tube a flourescent color.

I bet with a little experimentation and some super bright UV LEDs you could have a sweet lightsaber.

i wouldn't try flurescent tubes, they are simply way too fragile for movements and impacts like used in fight and - shreds of broken fluorescent tubes are really nasty things.

Surely you could make a bright, strong but lightweight light saber by creating a controlled nuclear fission or fusion in a tube, couldn't you? :lol:

lol

I think they sell there fusion reactors realy cheap at the supermarket.lol

These UV LEDs look realy unbright wen pointed in an UV nonreactive srurface but makes an realy nice efect wen pointed to UV reactive stuf

Mebay an EL string (same as an EL LCD backlight but in a long sting) cod do the trick

If yu want to meake a movie you wod use computer image procesing to get the efect. (i seen a article about it,It was realy cool)

audioguru said:
Surely you could make a bright, strong but lightweight light saber by creating a controlled nuclear fission or fusion in a tube, couldn't you? :lol:

I wouldn't try it, you might end up warping space or, dare I say, time travel. If it blows up in the lab anything could happen, even giving you super powers.

The flourescent tube will do it, but these are pretty fragile in long lengths. Encasing them in an acrylic cylinder will help, but the cylinder itself may have enough flex that it would bend enough under moderate force to break the tube inside.
CCFL tubes are bright, colorful, and cheap and would make a nice "light dagger". I wonder if you could make an array of them for a longer one and still look good?

Oznog, your avatar, where is that from? I recognize it but cant quite place it.

My cousin was telling me that you need a plasma channel to make a real light saber that could cut through stuff. I told him good luck with getting a couple hundred kV to start a plasma channel as long as a lighsaber :lol:

The best and simpler

Buy a policarbonate translucid (not transparent) pipe 1/2" diameter, 1.2 m long. Run inside a 1 m length of 5 mm green or ultrmarine LyTec wire. Darker colors tend to produce more severe injures to your oponents. (Seriously now, check LyTec site...)

In the handler, fit the driving inverter (IM-3) able to work 20 hours continuously with two AAA batteries.

Together with the wire, you have to fit some transparent material like polietylene, to keep the wire from moving inside the pipe. Otherwise you will no be promoted as a Jedi :?: :( because of a not so neat equipment.

Would you believe that I never watched one of those films for more than 5 minutes? I had to ask my daughter for some basics but found too tyring to learn the whole story. :roll: Even Harry P. is taking too much of my patience and time. :?

Yet I prefer to stick with the old Stephen King's books or our national writers, some of them, excelent.

Buena suerte Dart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back