Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does any have a Schematic diagram for an AC/DC inverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guillermo

Hi Folks,

I need a way to invert 110vac to 12vdc does anyone know of a schematic, chip or a device for doing this? I thought that this would be easily available but I'm having a hard time finding one to put in my electronic device. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
G

An 110 V to 12V trasformer some diodes to thurn it in to DC and a 1000uF cap to filter it.

Clicky goodness with diagrams. **broken link removed**

Hi Someone,
1) 12VAC has a peak voltage of 17V which is reduced 1.4V by a bridge rectifier that isn't loaded very much. Therefore the cap will be charged to at least 15.6V.
2) A 110V to 12V transformer will have an output that is higher than 12V if it isn't fully loaded.

Guillermo didn't say if he wants isolation and also didn't say how much current. A 1M resistor in series with a 1N4004 diode, feeding a 1uF cap with an 82K resistor in parallel with it will give about 12VDC output.

audioguru said:
Guillermo didn't say if he wants isolation and also didn't say how much current.
That's true. We kinda went about the idea of designing the entire power supply inside his black box circuit.

Guillermo, if you are going for the smallest size and weight added to your project, the simplest thing to do would be to use a wall wart transformer, and let the heavy part just rest on the wall while bringing the 12v straight to the circuit.

If you are wanting to not have the big transformer plugged into the wall, and jus want to run a normal skinny power cord to your device, the link I posted in my previous message shows the schematic for using a transformer, bridge rectifier, and regulator to do that. Below is about an actual size picture of one I made to go inside of a project box that can deliver around a third of an amp.

As for current limitations, that cap / voltage divider Guru suggested is going to give very small current. Just the 1M across 12V limits the output to a max of 12mA.

Attachments

• 120to12.png
    120to12.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,010
Great!!!

Hey thanks a million guys I appreciate your help and advice with this. The info you gave me on the schamtic is great Bonxer, it's just what I'm looking for and yes I want to keep it inside the device. Another question is do you or anyone you know produce these converters?

Thanks again for your help It's appreciated.

G

I thought you wanted to make one since you asked for a schematic. :? If you just want to order one pre-made, www.jameco.com is having a special on this little regulated switching dude, search for item 168225, although its a bit long at 9". Perhaps check out their other AC to DC open frame power supplies, Linear or Switching, to see if they might have something else that would better suit your needs, whether based on price or physical size.

guillermo said:
Another question is do you or anyone you know produce these converters?
Yes, in fact I do make simple linear power supplies. Gives me something to do at home when my internet connection is down. :) If you want me to make you one, just give me your physical size requirements and how much current you expect to draw. Do you only need 12 volts? Do you need 5 or anything else also?

What is the project this will be used with?

Hey Bonxer,

Sorry to give you a mixed message. Yes I did want to make one for myself for the hell of it but I also wanted a source where I could get lots and lots of these.

I didn't mean to be so vague.... I really am very new to all of this and all of your help is great.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back