Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

does a voltage regulator need 3 seperate tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMES IRVINE

I was wondering how the voltage regulator ic2 would be placed on this circuit. it looks to me as if the volateg regulator ic2 in this circuit has got 3 legs which are shaped like a tripod and not like in a straight line like the voltage regulator I have. **broken link removed** what are the rules with this should the input, output and ground pins be seperated as in on diffent tracks or can they be on the same track without breaking it like as in the centre of the other IC.

Check the datasheet, the PCB layout and schematic are clearly labeled. And yes the rules are the same. IN, GND, OUT

Are you really building that inverter? It's very low wattage and not very practical.

I only need 60watts, all I want is an operational circuit. I still am not sure what to do with the voltage regulator in this diagram **broken link removed** the pins are staggered and then obviously it would be very easy to cut the track between them. In reality the pins are in line so do I completely remove the track for the middle pin and create a connection with a bit of copper wire to connect this ground pin to the top track where c3 and c4 are situated.
else what do I do? eg rotate the voltage regulator but I don't want to detract from the diagram because this is my first attempt at a circuit and I'm not sure where to cut the tracks
could I cut a track anywhere as long as all the parts of the circuit are connected?

JAMES IRVINE said:
I only need 60watts, all I want is an operational circuit. I still am not sure what to do with the voltage regulator in this diagram **broken link removed** the pins are staggered and then obviously it would be very easy to cut the track between them. In reality the pins are in line so do I completely remove the track for the middle pin and create a connection with a bit of copper wire to connect this ground pin to the top track where c3 and c4 are situated.
else what do I do? eg rotate the voltage regulator but I don't want to detract from the diagram because this is my first attempt at a circuit and I'm not sure where to cut the tracks
could I cut a track anywhere as long as all the parts of the circuit are connected?

hi James,
Its best to stagger the pins as per the drawing.
As you say, it makes it possible to cut away the track in between the two outer pins.
It also makes a more 'rigid' [triangular] support for the regulator body.
It dosn't bend and break as easily as in line pins.

Do you follow.?

well does that mean that I will need to aquire another voltage regulator with staggered pins or is the method I suggested good enough to work without worrying about short circuits between the pins taking place.

JAMES IRVINE said:
well does that mean that I will need to aquire another voltage regulator with staggered pins or is the method I suggested good enough to work without worrying about short circuits between the pins taking place.

hi,
You carefully bend the legs of the voltage regulator, NOT too close to the body of the reg.

Dont push the body of the reg flush with the pcb, let the body of the reg be about 1cm from the pcb.

OK.?

Aren't you using Veroboard?
Then one track is for the input, another track is for the ground and another track is for the output. Spread out the wires on the regulator a little so it fits.
Then the wires do not need to be staggered and the tracks do not need to be cut.

I'm a total novice and I would prefer that I followed the diagram but do you know of any sights where I could get taught the rules fast. I am thinking that the rules are that all tracks that connect two components that aren't connected in the diagram should be cut **broken link removed** **broken link removed** like i would cut the wire between the variable resistor and pin 9 and cut the track between the base of Tr1 and the 12v input connection or anywhere where components are not linked within the circuit diagram is this correct?

JAMES IRVINE said:
I'm a total novice and I would prefer that I followed the diagram but do you know of any sights where I could get taught the rules fast. I am thinking that the rules are that all tracks that connect two components that aren't connected in the diagram should be cut **broken link removed** **broken link removed** like i would cut the wire between the variable resistor and pin 9 and cut the track between the base of Tr1 and the 12v input connection or anywhere where components are not linked within the circuit diagram is this correct?

hi James,
If you are using stripboard/Vero instead of the printed circuit pcb, you should really do the layout on paper first.

Google for expresspcb its a freeware pcb layout, you can also get the expresssch circuit drawing program.

Usually tracks have to be cut where the two adjacent components are NOT supposed to connect. OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back