Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does a chip like this exist? (similar to L272M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neon_cloud

Hi

I am doing a project in which I need a Power amp (wired as a voltage follower) to power a 12v 6w bulb.

I have tried using this L272M chip, but it gets very hot, and after a while of the bulb being on, the output voltage and current of the chip both drop (The input of the chip comes from a D-A converter op amp with max output 13ish volts and an inverting op amp to keep the voltage positive)

The pin diagram I found of the chip recommends powering the L272M to +5 and -5V, but this was not suitable due to the large 13V input voltage it needs, so I tried it 0v and +15v, and it got very hot and the current and voltage output drop. Is there a chip that could pump out enough current to power this bulb and not get hot/lose output voltage/current..

Thanks

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/02/CD00000054.pdf
(The L272M chip)

Last edited:
You could just add an emitter-follower onto the opamp if you wanted.
**broken link removed**
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/emitfol.html

Most opamps aren't really designed as drivers. But in your application, a very simple transistor circuit is all that's needed. An emitter-follower doesn't amplify voltage, the emitter simply "follows" the base voltage. This will move the heat-generating part of the circuit to a drive transistor, and still give you that same voltage sweep from the amp. Bolt the drive transistor to a heatsink.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back