Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does a BLDC motor require a motor controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

I am in need of a very small, cheap water circulating pump that can run continuous. A brush DC might be an issue though. Est life cycle is 10,000hrs but probably will never touch that. I know of BLDC motors but I would rather run this device on straight DC power to simplify my life. I guess if I could find a cheap AC pump, I could do that too.

I have found some little BLDC pumps for use as PC coolers but not sure if they need a controller.

Look up bilge pump. Many are designed for continuous operation and are BLDC with built-in controllers.

Here is what they look like: http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2034602&mr:trackingCode=BBBE1342-D16B-E011-92EE-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=24486676791&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30774699831&mr:match=&mr:keyword=&{copy:iq_id}=&{copy:camp}=

It will require some investigation to determine confidently that the pump you decide on is BLDC.

John

A bldc pump for your needs is no more complex than a brushed pump, just make sure that the pump in question either has built in, or comes with its controller.
A pc pump is much smaller than a bilge pump, unless your talking rc bilge pump.

Yeah, we need compact and moving only roughly .1-.25gpm is fine. I am a little concerned that a BLDC pump may have extra stuff to fail if it really does need a controller to operate. Would a small AC pump be available? Seems like finding one for another purpose is better than calling any "pump companies" who seem to want to "spec" us a pump or build one special. I would estimate we need this pump to fit in a 4" cube.

Depends on your outlook, however a bldc with a controller in my opinion will be a lot more reliable than a brushed or even an ac motor, the controllers seperate or built in are usually potted - totally encased in solid 'goop' so water and cack proof, a low volatge bldc is pretty hardened against moisture too electrically.

If you want a mains ac pump then you can salvage one from a washing m/c, the benefit with these is that the impellor is usually driven by a magnet, so you can stall the pump without a burnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back