Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you drag your feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

Seriously - I walk at my place of work alot and notice an amazingly high number of students dragging their feet as they walk. I've seen this even in the middle to junior high school environments. Doesn't this generation walk hell to toe anymore or is shuffling now the norm? When they enter the business world, they better learn to walk more silently or they may find themselves working in the ground-floor mail room instead of up on the top floor. The sneaker mfgrs. must love the constant business they get from our youth! Some kids in this generation should learn from the American Indians, who could walk on dry leaves with nary a sound.... toe-heel, toe-heel, toe-heel.

One word: ZOMBIES!

WHERES MAH SHOTGUN

**broken link removed**

I dont have it here, perhaps they are zombies?

I dragged my feet when i was a younger student. But eventually i stopped. No particular reason or need to do so, I just did. Almost everyone i know went through similar phases.

So i wouldn't dwell too much on it, they'll grow out of it.

Reactions: vdd
[=QUOTE Krumlink] WHERES MAH SHOTGUN

It appears they have been already. Maybe even a few times. :p

Let's shoot'em again. :D

Most kids today are obese.
They can't excercise because they are too big and heavy.
So they shuffle when they walk. Pretty soon they will be in wheelcharirs.

I used to. I don't anymore- not by any successful concious effort though, except for the fact that it didn't help my image or posture (or was it better posture is better walking?). I kind of just stopped. Some reasons were loose fitting, heavy shoes, tiredness, and heavy bags.

Dance classes helped- you can't shuffle your feet there because then you look like an inconfident, inexperienced idiot who's afraid to step on the girl's toes. You're leading- it's her job to get out of the way lol.

Last edited:
A lot of young people around here shuffle to avoid stepping on their long baggy pant legs.

audioguru, you might want to do a basic Google before saying something like that. The US Department of health statistics shows 14% of kids (6-19) are overweight, that's hardly a majority, though a high number in it's own right.
Go on over to Samoa, where obesity is the norm, 75% of people in Urban Samoa are overweight. China even with it's lower 5% overall rate jumps to 20% in large cities. It's all a matter of perception, what numbers or information you chose to base your viewpoints on, and how much information you have on the methods of the data collection itself. Which leads me to the original post!
Hitech, you have to take into account your noticing a particular habit in people around you doesn't mean any more or less people did that particular thing than when you were younger, it just means you're noticing it now. It's the "When I was a kid" syndrome, it tells more about how a persons consciousness and thoughts develop as they age than about what you're observing. That's why there's the scientific method. Then again that's only as valid as the individuals using it.
In case you can't guess that can be applied to me as well, as I've gotten older I've grown a whole lot more long winded and philosophical about simple posts like why do people drag their feet nowdays <heh> But then again I tend to be very introspective about the little things I observe.

Here's a good site for US data. You can check by age, year, location, and other demographics.

**broken link removed**

John

Sceadwian said:
Go on over to Samoa, where obesity is the norm, 75% of people in Urban Samoa are overweight.

I'll just mention the fact that Samoans are just a different shape. I had not met any Islanders, the term given to people from the islands surrounding Australia, until I came to Australia. The ones that work out and have no fat would still be classed as obese on the western measure.

Mike.

AllVol said:
Is the word "lazy" germane to the subject?
Of course. I never dragged my feet; I know I always had good posture (hammered in by my mother). After being in (and helping lead) a competitive marching band throughout high school, my heel-toe is nearly perfect. I can't help but walk in time to music; it's almost like a virus. It was even worse when I was actually in band; I'd be with friends and all of a sudden we'd all be in step, for example in the mall. Then we'd start singing the music. We were weird kids.

I see only the fat kids because they move slowly like hippopotomouses.
The slim kids move so fast they can't be seen.

audioguru said:
I see only the fat kids because they move slowly like hippopotomouses.
The slim kids move so fast they can't be seen.

That's only because their on meth. You have to look at their eye's to tell the difference.

**broken link removed**

i know adults who drag their feet. i find it extremely anoying. i have too much respect for my shoes to drag the soles on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back