Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do I have to ground the shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

Many system has shield and it is grounded like condenser mic, signal cables, micro level preamp etc. What happens if I made a shield but did not ground it? Some expensive multimeters has shield inside and accroding to my poor inspection/assumption, that is not grounded. Curious about floating shield.

The shield should be "grounded" to the 0V or chassis or whatever the signal is going in to, it does not literally have to be connected to earth ground.

In such as a multimeter or portable device, the screening or shielding will divert any stray external signals to the 0V, rather than them getting through to the sensitive signal traces.
And also block any stray emissions from leaving that part of the device, in such as mobile phones.

(If the device is powered from AC mains, then the chassis or 0V should usually be connected to true earth / ground somewhere in the system).

With a signal cable, if the screen is not connected at either end, the effect will depend on what type of interference sources are nearby and how strong they are. It may make things slightly better than no screen at all - or it could make pickup worse, as anything close to the cable at just one point may allow noise to pass in over the entire cable length..

You will get the best performance if the shield is connected to what the equipment involves considers to be "ground", otherwise you would need to use a differential amplifier or with microphones use transformer coupling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back