Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do DPDT solid state relays exist??

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldl

Want to control HVAC fans using an Omega temperature controller to activate solid state relays for a 240 volt fan.Every solid state relay seller I,ve found only offers (SPST)single pole,single throw.or 3 phase relays.Although I could switch the 240 volt fan using a SPST relay I think it would violate code.All help would be appreciated.DonaldL

Want to control HVAC fans using an Omega temperature controller to activate solid state relays for a 240 volt fan.Every solid state relay seller I,ve found only offers (SPST)single pole,single throw.or 3 phase relays.Although I could switch the 240 volt fan using a SPST relay I think it would violate code.All help would be appreciated.DonaldL

Have you tried Newark?

Would DPST suffice? You can use two SPST, one on each leg and control both from the same source. Each should be rated for the full voltage to cover any differences in switching speed.

Any reason not to use a good old fashion electro-mech relay?

SSR's at 240AC which can handle large loads get quite costly.

Mechanical relays are larger and will take up extra space in my enclosure.I know that if 3 phase SSR's are avalable then someone must make a double-pole double -throw equivalent.I will Google Newark.Thanks for the advice.Don

Mechanical relays are larger and will take up extra space in my enclosure.I know that if 3 phase SSR's are avalable then someone must make a double-pole double -throw equivalent.I will Google Newark.Thanks for the advice.Don

Don't forget SSRs tend to need large heatsinks to meet their current ratings that may make them as big or bigger than EMRs.

Last edited:
Folks;Idanielrosa posted good advice.What I needed is a double pole/single throw SSR for switching to 240 high voltage residential.A dpdt switch would be an on/off/on switch most often used to control motors for forward/off/reverse.But I am still having problems finding a DPST SSR.A mechanical relay is most likely the best way to go. DonaldL

You might have another issue: Since leakage current is present on the SSR, it's a shock hazard UNLESS you have a mechanical way to disconnect.

The Fan doesn;t care if you use an SPST SSR or not. I think it's the full disconnection and fusing of L1 and L2 that matters.

KISS, this is a ~8 yr old thread!

KISS, this is a ~8 yr old thread!
Correct, the thread was re-animated by a spammer who has since been banned and deleted.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back