Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DLink access point emitting high frequency sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaza

Hello,

I have a D-Link 3200AP which just died on me. And in that regard it started emitting a high frequency tone. Am I correct to assume that its usually inductors doing that?

In any case, I have uploaded a picture of the inductor I can see on the print. I have not been able to find a schematic for the circuit, but it seems to be easy to replace components, so should I just go for changing the inductor? I was thinking though, that for it to resonate at a different frequency than what it was designed for, it must be the circuit around it that's not working properly?

**broken link removed**

Thank you

Inductors dont usually go bad, unless it has come loose and is vibrating. Try holding your finger on it to see if the noise stops. Also try this on the electrolytic capacitors around the coil. If you find something that is vibrating use some silicone RTV to hold it down to the PC bd.

Thank you for the quick reply.

There is no vibration from any of the caps, nor the inductor. Do you have any other ideas?

I discovered though, that there might be a warranty for it still, so I might try that too.

If you have disturbed any anti-tamper measures on this unit, that warranty will now be void...

Exercise the warranty first.

How about a pic that's near the power supply input? Inspect the board forbad solder joints, bottom and top.

I have left it at work waiting for RMA reply from D-Link. I have checked for bad solderings and other defects, but there were nothing to be seen, it was actually in surprisingly good physical condition. I will be back with more information and pictures if they don't accept it for replacement.

Thank you guys.

Is it because the windings change characteristics so the resonancy frequency moves over time or?

Alright, nice to know. But furthermore it doesn't work properly, so I will have a closer look at it if the RMA doesn't go through. :)

I have also had inductors similar to that go short circuit. That leads to saturation and squeaking. In a buck regulator, the efficiency is lost, and that can lead to the device not working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back