Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY TACH was: A little help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK91

Hi Guys,

So my tachometer died about a month ago and I'm not willing to pay £150 + for a another or aftermarket one. So I done some research and came across a few guides on creating a tachometer. One of them stood out from the crowd which is - this one.

So mostly new to this and didn't really understand the schematics so did a little more research and now I actually understand what is what on the schematics. YAY!

I do have a few questions though and was hoping I could get some advise.

1. According to the guide, the tachometer signal is a frequency which comes from the -ve terminal on the ignition coil. However my cars tachometer gets it's signal from a PWM signal. Would it work if I use the PWM singal wire instead?

2. The LM3914's each run 9 led's and there are two on the schematics. I would possibly need at 25 led's run on the LM3914's in bar form. How would I do this?

3. Lastly, does anyone know where i can get a trimpot? I can't find the 220k one anywhere!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
The schematic shown is barely readable. To me it seems like a lot of effort for little return. With a 20 LED readout, max 8k RPM you get a resoltion of only 400 RPM. Not good. Now to:
Q1: It most likely would work but you may need to do some signal conditioning
Q2: Each LM3924 has 10 LEDs, a pin on the IC sets it to dot or bar mode
Q3: Use a 200k pot
On ebay I found many tachs for US $20, some with quite interesting displays. Check it out. E

The schematic shown is barely readable.

Sorry, I forgot to link in the full sized version, it's here

With a 20 LED readout, max 8k RPM you get a resoltion of only 400 RPM. Not good.

It's a 6k RPM and I want to do a minimum of 25 led's so it would be a resolution of 240 RPM, i would like to do more led's but don't know the correct way of using more than 2 LM3914s.

Each LM3924 has 10 LEDs, a pin on the IC sets it to dot or bar mode

Sorry I didn't type this question properly, what I wanted to know is how I add additional LM3914s, the schematics have 2 but I would like to add at least one or two more.

On ebay I found many tachs for US $20, some with quite interesting displays. Check it out. E

I know I can find some quite cheap, but they are really not what I'm looking for. Plus, I'm more into doing things myself.

what I wanted to know is how I add additional LM3914s
Check the datasheet. It shows how to cascade the chips.

Hi,

There are much cheaper tachs than that on the web. Go to an auto parts store online. They range $30 USD and up.

Dipak:
Yes very nice work there. Looks very appealing. I like the rectangular LEDs they fit nice side by side. As long as it does not distract you from your normal driving.

Last edited:
MrAl,
Thanks for your comments. The tacho does not distract me when I'm driving and it's no different to having a car which comes with a built in tacho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back