Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY PIC programmer needed(HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

notty1

I'm newbie in using PIC microcontroller and i wanna use it to build a robot. Is there anyone out there have circuit and together with part list where i can build my own programmer? I would like to burn in the self writting firmware so that i can download my program directly from pc to PIC using my serial port ever then...i'm using PIC 16F877A to do line following robot. Thanks in advances and hope for more guidance from all. Thanksss :D

notty1 said:
I'm newbie in using PIC microcontroller and i wanna use it to build a robot. Is there anyone out there have circuit and together with part list where i can build my own programmer? I would like to burn in the self writting firmware so that i can download my program directly from pc to PIC using my serial port ever then...i'm using PIC 16F877A to do line following robot. Thanks in advances and hope for more guidance from all. Thanksss :D

If you want some guidence then I suggest you stay away from your serial port and go with a parallel port programmer.
Visit this site and look at the Ozipic'er programmer,it works great and software is free, not to mention the tutorials available.
www.winpicprog.co.uk

good luck.

notty1 said:
May i know wat is the different between parallel and serial port programming ? Btw, the cant access for time being. Thanks in advance..

Most 'serial port' programmer don't use the serial port at all, they just use the handshake lines, commonly they rely on the serial port being above the RS232 standard, so on some machines they don't work.

This is why WinPicProg only supports parallel port programmers, I don't consider serial port programmers reliable enough - you will notice that the other leading freeware programmer software author (of ICProg) no longer offers support or answers emails - presumably because of the flood of queries over serial programmers not working?.

'Proper' serial programmers have a PIC on board, transfer the data to the PIC via RS232, and the PIC then programs the target device. This is how official MicroChip programmers work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back