Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY isolator...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaDa

Hi!

I have a circuit that normally runs from a mains power supply (with a resistor, rectifier and zener) that I want to control using a small battery powered circuit.
But the -ve side of the mains circuit is, effectively neutral(?) and I don't really want the negative side of the battery circuit to become neutral

Are there any isolator circuits I can make from common (all garden) components (rather than buy an opto isolator)?

Cheers

Hi!

I have a circuit that normally runs from a mains power supply (with a resistor, rectifier and zener) that I want to control using a small battery powered circuit.
But the -ve side of the mains circuit is, effectively neutral(?) and I don't really want the negative side of the battery circuit to become neutral

Are there any isolator circuits I can make from common (all garden) components (rather than buy an opto isolator)?

Cheers

Transformer. Do you have an old unused Wall-Wart charger laying around?

Mike, the OP stated that the circuit is operated from the mains voltage, so unless he can redesign it to operate from the output of a Wall-Wart, that won't work.

You could use an isolator transformer on the mains but that would be more expensive than an opto isolator.

Mike, the OP stated that the circuit is operated from the mains voltage, so unless he can redesign it to operate from the output of a Wall-Wart, that won't work.

You could use an isolator transformer on the mains but that would be more expensive than an opto isolator.

He also stated that the Line-powered circuit is no more than: I have a circuit that normally runs from a mains power supply (with a resistor, rectifier and zener) that I want to control using a small battery powered circuit.
, so grab a Wall-Wart (which is what he should have done in the first place; I wince when Newbies are screwing around with line-powered circuits, especially 240V ones), and rebuild it so everything is downstream from the Wall-Wart.

I have dozens of old Wall-Warts in my junk box for projects such as this...

Thanks people...

As ever I've skimped on the original request! Apologies...

My 'mains' device is one of those freebie mains switches that turns on/off from an IR signal.
Ultimately these things have a relay that switches the mains but they have a small circuit (fed from the zener etc) to power the whole thing. The relay is 24 v and is turned on/off using a surface mount transistor.

I want to replace the IR trickery with a simple low power circuit that fires the transistor, powers the relay and switches the mains.
The problem is, though, to fire the transistor I need to share the ground with my battery switching unit.
I know the correct solution is to use an opto-isolator - but I'm being cheap (again!) and I don't have one in my box of bits.
I'll probably have to wait until I have a bigger order add remember to add one to the order but it would be nice to progress my little project now - using more bread and butter components.

I'm not too sure a transformer would do this (I also have space constraints ( I want to wedge most of it back into the original case)).
I suspect a relay would do the deed - but I don't have one of those either :)

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that the opto-isolator is the only way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back