Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY Engraving and etching PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi guyz...
Going to be getting a Klik N Kut Die cutter that can do engraving etc.

based on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cAzV9rCay0&NR=1

I figure it can engrave away resist coatings. So I plan to spray on some lacquer on the prepped copper and then have the die cutter expose copper to be etched. Etch and that's it. Might be more precise & repeatable than the iron on approach, not to mention capable of processing over a square foot of board at a time....which is kinda tough from the iron on perspective.

Clearly that diecutter also has a million other uses....making faceplates, lettering for project housings, Solder mask stencils, gaskets, kids craft....etc.

Sounds doable?

I doubt that machine takes G code and I can't see the PCB software writers supporting that machine so I don't think it will be much use for PCB stuff.

Mike.

There is a wonderful program called "Make The Cut" http://www.make-the-cut.com/
It works with the Klik N Kut and many other similar machines.

I use it to cut solder paste stencils.

First make sure the machine has enough clearance to take a PCB.

Make the cut will work from a PDF (or SVG) file. I do not know if you can get it to do the fill type engraving action.

People have talked about using resist pens with this sort of machine but I have yet to see it done.

The Knk does great engraving....which is the basis for the approach. It has both a hard and soft engraving tool tip and can take pens as well.
Well, no progress is made unless we do things differently. I guess once i have it figured out I can do a sticky tut. for the forum.

Whats the price of such a gadget?

Think i would rather a small cnc machine that could do all that and more, including drilling the holes as its easy to use photo resist for A1 quality results for the artwork, but the slow part is drilling the holes if doing it by hand.

By the youtube videos the hard part will be keeping the girls away from the machine as almost every video had girls making crap cards and scrapbooks etc.

>SABorn:

I agree with u, but the cheapest one I could find is a kit:
https://www.probotix.com/FireBall_v90_cnc_router_kit/

Which is over twice the price of a klik n kut groove-e, and requires some elbow grease as well. Since I do mostly SMD stuff now, drilling is less of an issue.
Then there is the matter of the interface....kinda nice to be able to use regular gfx proggies rather than g code. I also have a 14 yr old girl who is nuts on craft. Clay, Paper,foil, wire, beads....you name it. Kinda good to keep her busy during the summer break...less mall time = less $$ spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back