Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY electronic load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi All:
I am designing a DC electronic load (perhaps up to 4A @ 30VDC) and I hope to add Constant current, Voltage & Power via a data logging uC approach.
4A = 16W dissipation via a 1 ohm , current sense, load resistance. Perhaps 5 parallel 5W wirewound, 1 ohm units used here.
A half amp 'low' range with a 10 ohm 5 W wire-wound load as a current sense => 10mV per mA for op amp amplification to feed the uC ADC.
Also with a resettable minimum voltage trip off and external cmos logic start & stop load triggers.
I hope to use it for general PSU design load testing and battery mAh profiling.

I want mA accuracy in the half amp range, which means a decent low offset, precision , current sense, op amp. I am open to suggestions please.

I did locate this one:
https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/904798.pdf
@ a tiny 1 uV typical input offset, but only 2.7V - 5.5V supply

and this one ..about 60uV to 90 uV (grade C) typical input offset with a 5V - 15V supply.
https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/239169.pdf

With a 10mV / mA signal does the LT1013CP seem adequate to feed the uC ADC an amplified current sense V?
It's about half the price of the 1uV offset OPA.

Last edited:
5 parallel 1 ohm resistors give 0.2 ohms resistance. Is that what you want?

The LT1013C has a maximum offset of 0.3mV at room temp. That would give a maximum error of 30uA with a 10mV / mA sensitivity. Is that adequate for your needs?

Unless you are building a bunch of these I wouldn't think the cost of the op amp would be a significant factor.

I meant 5, 5 ohm current sense units.:(

Thx for your input!

Last edited:
Could you just close a constant current loop in hardware then just set current with the micro. Then the op amp offset isn't amplified.
The sense resistor could be a little problem, but could probably be calibrated if it's a onesie.

I simulated a 150Khz PWM 'load' smoothed via an inductive pi filter as a means to decrease heating in the LOAD Fets.
I notice for a 120Hz DC ripple input that there is a phase change with the current vs voltage. Would this be of significance in doing CC, CV and CR for a single phase system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back